Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

freeway feelings

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freeway feelings

so i was riding back on the freeway today from a quick ride. we had a unusually cool day (looked like it was going to rain.. and just 2 days ago it was 106!) and i was doing about 70-75 mph but the wind was just beating me up so i was fully tucked and all the sudden i started to feel very disoriented. im not on the freeway alot or anyother place where i need to ride fully tucked so i dont know if this is a normal feeling ?

by disoriented i mean i was feeling a lil light headed. even though i was looking staright ahead of me my visionblured, and when i sat up i felt fine. it was only feeling weird when i was tucked in (*** all the way back,legs locked into the tank and helmet belwo the windshield but not tocuhing the gas tank yet)

Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Default RE: freeway feelings

The only thing I can think is that you are somehow putting undue stress on your neck and cutting blood supply to your head. Was your helmet against your neck with your leathers tucked underneath?

I have never gotten this feeling.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can depend a lot on the wind conditions on the day, but riding on the freeway, you get a decent blat of air hitting your head, shoulders & chest, And without being aware of it, you tense your neck muscles to compensate & lean your head forward. If your riding at speed behind traffic, especially big trucks, your also coping a decent dose of their chopped up slipstream.your right in saying that its the equivalent of being slapped around the head, cos it is. The other thing you tend to do without realising it, is to tense the muscles in your arm & grip tighter (as in hanging on). So your putting the upper torso & neck through a bit of stress. Just try to relax more, let the wind take the weight off your arms, not much you can do about the buffeting, cept maybe a different screen (& lay off the cough syrup).You do get used to it, eventually anyway. Naked bikes are even worse than this (your just a wind sock) next up would have to be Ducati sports bikes. I rode a friends YamaDavidson cruiser for about 30 clicks on the freeway one time, highrisers & highway way pegs. wot a nightmare, no wonder Harleys are slow.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 AM

The only "freeway feelings" I want to ever feel are the excitement of riding a motorcycle, riding through curves or my wife on the back reaching around

I myself am still working on the "relaxing" part. Being new to it, I'm still somewhat tense and find myslef tensing my arms, grip and even my legs. I've been trying to do similar to what you said, letting the wind take the weight off of my arms and lighten my grip. Riding in a semi-foreward position isn't very comfortable to me either, especially for longer than an hour or so.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freeways should only be used in case of wheelie[sm=nono.gif] otherwise.....

stay away!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Definately not normal !

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^ lol ... yea thats what i was thinking it was because of "tensing up" my jacket is pretty heavy and it puts alot of weight on my shoulders. just wanted to see if this was normal for people when they are tucked or if it was just me ..

Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM

i ahve felt those same feelings burred vission the sound goes way down ! all of it .. the only difference was i was at home jerkn one out and had panty hose around my neck and a lemon in my mouth so when i..... well you know i wouldn't pass all the way out and die from afexation (sp?) ..so i guess the moral is when on the freeway carry a lemon in your mouth so u don't pass out ! [sm=guilty.gif]

just kidding sounds like somehow you are cuting your air supply off ! maybe the wind is pushing your jacket into your neck and in full tuck it cutting the air off ! mine sometimes chokes me when on the freeway with alot big truck traffic ! my jacket is to big now that i am loseing some much needed weight ! maybe yours too .. just my 2 cents !

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

That sounds bad. Not a good place to have that happen.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Usually happens to me for the first 15 seconds I'm on the freeway if it's my first ride of the day. I'd say the light-headedness is comparable to the first few drags of a cigarette first thing in the morning. If we're experiencing the same thing, I believe adrenaline may be the culprit.

Quick Reply: freeway feelings