Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Forum Being "Used"? Ticked or No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum Being "Used"? Ticked or No?

I was just wondering what some of you thought about this. Over the past few days (maybe weeks) I am seeing more and MORE people who just sign up that day to host a sale of their bike or whatever it may be and put no futher input into the site. I was just wondering if this bothered some of you like it does me. Its like being used (in a sense). This may be WAY off topic or not important, but I was just wondering. I know a fewother sites which require a certain postcount or subscription lenght before the can post stuff like that. That way they no the members are reputable and trustable. Is seems as an instance of being taken advantage of has taken place (such as xXfooish[Whatever]Xx). Just wondering if stuff like this should be prevented. Sorry if this is dumb.

Add your thoughts (if any)

Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Default RE: Forum Being "Used"? Ticked or No?

some forums I've seen have done two things to avoid/minimize this:

1. minimum amount of posts (~10 posts) and mimimum time since registered (~3 months). THis avoids most dumpers
2. start thread that is stickied at the top which provides feedback on members and their sales and trades to other members. (i.e. I bought something from willie and it was high quality stuff and sent quickly. So I'll post up with a shout out for willie) THe thing to watch out for are people who bad mouth people unfairly without attempting to resolve it first.

my 2 cents.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:15 AM

Well, if it is a good deal on a sale and the guy is a trustworthy seller, i dont care if it is his only post or not.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with yall, but the problem is some people post *****, so if they sign up and post worthless crap all week, then try to sell their bike, what good is that?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 AM

It would be a good idea to add a trader's rating and/or reputation rating. A few other boards have added this feature such as gixxer.com

Old 11-17-2006, 02:40 AM

i dealt with a guy who had one post and was honest, but i know what your talking about with the "free subscription" posts...they are getting out of hand

Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned

I voted 'no'...but thanks for asking.

I don't mind the 'for sale' post as long as it is for bike stuff. But everyonce in a while you'll just a blatant advertisement for some none bike related thing from a first poster. Either the moderators are doing a great job getting rid of the trash or it isn't that big of a problem. My thought is that if it is a real problem, let the moderators read the comments from this thread and then come up with a policy.

How many posts are yanked before we even see them???? any moderators have an idea?

Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Retired Administrator

As long as they post in the for sale section... classifieds, I think it's a valuable link for our good members to maybe pick up parts they need/want.

Like JZHALES said, if we have a post limit, they will either turn away and take their good deals to another place or post a thread saying "hi" however many times we set so they can list their product.

This is a good question to do a poll with. It will be nice to see how the other members react.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:56 AM

on a tiburon site i used to post on, for your first 25 posts, they are all pre-screened by mods before they post on the forum. honestly it was a major pain in the *** for me cause i lost out on alot of mods that were for sale. but i see it as a good idea. as well as adding a trader rating of some sort. 1000rr has a t/r, as well as a few other sites i frequent.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah, all in the life of a forum.

better 1 post classifieds than spam bots.

Quick Reply: Forum Being "Used"? Ticked or No?