Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First time renter. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm going home for winter break and my parents are teaching me some more...I can cook a few things...but not many.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet: renter's insurance.

Fairly inexpensive, mine runs like $300 a year. But if anything happens, you don't take a complete loss. You may feel like you don't have enough to warrant insurance. But have you ever tried to replace your entire wardrobe, down to your skivvies, all at once?

Edit:
And considering it's a bunch of college guys, the personal liability coverage from a policy may come in handy. Like when a guest at a party decides the best way down the stairs is head first

Last edited by Kuroshio; 12-09-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Like when a guest at a party decides the best way down the stairs is head first
kuro, you just made my day!

but if youre not that good at cooking, just look online, theres tons of good and simple recipes out there.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I can do that! I have a Goodwill and Salvation army both 4 minutes away, and a savers 14 minutes away...I'm sure we can find some stuff there. I think we'll probably come back to school a few days before classes start to pick some stuff up...

Anything else?
use it for everything! basically all my furniture (bedframe, couch, entertainment center, etc), stereo (you can find tons of great old big speakers, receivers, amps there and what not for like $15), beer glasses, dishes, and a lot of clothes (for theme parties, cheap shoes, sandals, etc) came from goodwill or salvation army. i even got a chest freezer from there that i turned into a kegorator. sure, some of it's dirty, some of it's cheap, and it sure as hell won't match - but if you're paying attention to those kind of things in college, your priorities are in the wrong place

Originally Posted by estate4life
I won't be getting into furnitures and what not....I know it sounds cheesy but learning how to cook really makes a difference down the road. One that knows how to cook will help save you big bucks Vs. eating out. It could be hundreds and hundreds per month. It's like brewing your own coffee Vs. buying a cup everyday.
very true. and now with how easy publix, jewel, kroger and the like make cooking - it's crazy not to do it yourself. you can basically pour stuff out of a bag into a pyrex dish and throw it in the oven for 1/2 hr.

kind of along the same lines - learn to like cheap beer... i know it may not be the cool thing to do. i can't believe how much money i spent on "good" beer in college. it's a shame - i could have bought so many more parts for my bike with that money!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 PM

...What is Publix, Jewel, or Korger?

lol

Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet: renter's insurance.

Fairly inexpensive, mine runs like $300 a year. But if anything happens, you don't take a complete loss. You may feel like you don't have enough to warrant insurance. But have you ever tried to replace your entire wardrobe, down to your skivvies, all at once?
Well, yea I was about to recommend this too. :P

They are cheap supermarkets, and se if your family has a costco account.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
...What is Publix, Jewel, or Korger?

lol
grocery store chains.... i've never been to maine haha, so i don't know what you guys have. publix is a southern one, and jewel and kroger are midwest/northern ones.

hahaha

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the OP already mentioned having insurance factored in.

I figured that cooking and cheap beer were already a given as well. lol...
I like Genessee Cream Ale for like $14/30pk.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just cook? No... How to cook, method wise that saves you money. Qty to buy... Food goes spoil and that's waste of money. You are what you eat, not just learning how to cook, but rather smart cooking. It's a life long journey...some can survive with soy sauce & rice, others ramen. You can save money all you want but that don't reflect your health. Eat smart, cook smart.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Inflatable furniture is your friend. It's cheap, you don't need to worry if it will have lice, bed bugs, germs, odors as you will with used furniture.

As far as cooking, if you don't know how to cook meat (chicken, beef, pork) over a stove, or boil bagged vegetables, canned food (tuna, soup, etc), boil spaghetti, or other stupidly simple things to make, you don't deserve to eat....you might as well quit college too. We aren't talking fancy food here, just healthy basic food. If you want fancy fancy, google and experiment and try again until you get it perfect.

Read your lease! I am a landlord. I take a great extent of consideration to write leases that will give tenants a heads up on what to do and what not to do so that things will stay cool with everyone. If a tenant came in and decided that he/she would just like to make their own rules, then it's time for me to come up with a strategy of when and how to get them out.

As far as renter's insurance and the idea of that...one good form of insurance is to not let potential thieves see what you have in your apartment. Be selective and cautious with whom you allow into your rented apartment. Thieves/burglars commit their crimes in places they have previously been, not places they have never been or never seen.

If heat is to be paid by the tenant, don't be wasteful with your energy usage (eh, even if you don't pay for the utilities, it still isn't good to be wasteful!)
Trying to make an apartment 80 degrees may cost you an extra $100 - 150, or more a month.

Quick Reply: First time renter. Tips?