Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First time renter. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time renter. Tips?

Okay, so as some of you may know I'm 18 and I'm away at college. I'm currently paying $12,000 just to live and eat here on campus, and that doesn't include the breaks or summer of course. I've figured that with two roommates we can eat well and pay for all our utilities for $10,000-$11,000 each year round in a pretty nice place close to campus.

However, none of us have extra furniture, and since I live 5 hours away...buying new stuff if probably cheaper than hauling the old down here (and easier).

So, how did you guys do it? What were some hidden costs you guys ran into? Where did you buy furniture, what was good, what was bad? etc...

Any help would help, I think I have the costs for rent, food, insurance and utilities covered, but I could be wrong, so let me know the issues you guys had!

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just get stuff wherever you can. I know it doesn't sound like much help, but that's really all you can do.
New furniture is expensive so you either hit up craigslist and the newspaper classifieds, or you hit up the thrift stores nearby.
Usually someone lives close enough that it's economical to transport the stuff, but not always.

If all else fails, get some sleeping bags and air mattresses...... and a hot plate.....and some ramen. Don't forget the ramen.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Luckily we probably won't be living off of ramen, we've got full meals factored into our costs.

The biggest vehicle we have to move things around is my Subaru Forester unfortunately. I suppose we will look into some second hand places to find some furniture in the next week or two.

Any more tips would be great!

Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there man. About 5k per semester for food and board. That being said, if I were to do it again, I don't think I'd change a thing. I moved to a city where I knew nobody. Moving in with a bunch of guys (and girls ) that were in the same boat as me, it made making friends and connections much easier. And then there was the parties...

If you do go for the off campus route, hit up craigslist in your area. There is a free section. You can score some sweet stuff if you are willing to pick it up.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Been there man. About 5k per semester for food and board. That being said, if I were to do it again, I don't think I'd change a thing. I moved to a city where I knew nobody. Moving in with a bunch of guys (and girls ) that were in the same boat as me, it made making friends and connections much easier. And then there was the parties...

If you do go for the off campus route, hit up craigslist in your area. There is a free section. You can score some sweet stuff if you are willing to pick it up.
Oh I understand the campus pluses...however I quickly befriended the local commuter kids, and got my bearings in the city which was good. Of course I have a lot of people I know that are living on campus, but I'm moving in with one or two of them as well. Currently I have a single room (roommate switched majors and left the engineering floor) and I don't want to lose it, which I will next semester. My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now and things are going well, I don't see that changing anytime soon so I'm not worried about the ladies, and if I need to get on campus or something, the place is 6 or 7 minutes down the road. Plus it'll allow me to bring my bikes down here and I can ride those to school.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM

i know how that is, dorms are too pricey for what your actually getting.
as for furniture and that sort of stuff, hit up craigslist, plenty of cheap and even free furniture on there, also check local thrift shops, i picked up a pretty good couch at a goodwill for $20. as for hidden costs, youre probably gonna get nailed with deposits when opening up gas/water/electric accounts so be prepared for that.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Good to know, I'll look into that!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

goodwill, goodwill, goodwill.

befriend someone with a truck

stay on good terms with the neighbors and the landlord (if it's a house)

Last edited by Conrice; 12-09-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM

I can do that! I have a Goodwill and Salvation army both 4 minutes away, and a savers 14 minutes away...I'm sure we can find some stuff there. I think we'll probably come back to school a few days before classes start to pick some stuff up...

Anything else?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't be getting into furnitures and what not....I know it sounds cheesy but learning how to cook really makes a difference down the road. One that knows how to cook will help save you big bucks Vs. eating out. It could be hundreds and hundreds per month. It's like brewing your own coffee Vs. buying a cup everyday.

Quick Reply: First time renter. Tips?