Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

first council in england to ban bikes off a road

Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first council in england to ban bikes off a road

read in mcn that brent council has banned bikes [ and only bikes , cars ect are fine ] from riding up RAINSFORD ROAD to the ACE CAFE they say its due to bikes riding unsafe ...now i find this very disturbing because other councils will be watching this and it will end up being the norm to ban bikes ...if SOME bikers are riding dangerous then its up to the police to sort it NOT THE COUNCIL ..ive sent an email to brent council saying ...i pay road tax & that entitles me to ride my bike on any road in this country ...if you want to have your say email customer.services@brent.gov.uk

Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, that is bull****! Sorry to hear about that. But, if you guys give your governments (albeit local or federal) more power - that's eventually what's going to happen. Everyone's first inclination when there is a problem is to ban it. Its okay until it affects you. Hopefully it gets lifted. The same sort of thing is probably going to happen here in America at some point - we've unfortunately started down that same road.

I thought brits cared about tradition and things.... (ACE CAFE)

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

How can a council enforce something like that?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM

just found out that the chief of brent council lives on that road ..well that says it all ...

Old 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol....

Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doboy
just found out that the chief of brent council lives on that road ..well that says it all ...
What an *******...

Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep.
I'd like to see them try to enforce it, though. I'd also like to see the cafe's stance on it.
It's one thing for some blowhard local politician to try and throw his weight around, but it's another thing to have this stick.
If that happened here, I'm sure bikers would be packing up city hall and the cafe would likely be filing suit.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder how a campaign by bikers and the ACE CAFE to ban cars in the same road would be viewed by the local council - they'd have to look into it very carefully to be fair to both parties.
Does it mean that anyone who owns a bike in that road will have to trailer it to the nearest "unrestricted" road before they can ride it ?

In good old English slang fooking bollocks man !

It'll never be allowed to stick - they'd be closing down a local business on the basis of one man's bigoted position.
In a country which allows you to stand on a soapbox in Hyde part and say what you like about whomsoever you like - would they tolerate this ? No way.

Police it by either laying down speed humps or by local speed restrictions. That would be fair and unbiased.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 AM

we live not far from one of the best biking roads in the uk( the helmsley TT in north yorkshire) and i am just waiting for this sort of thing to happen. Already the feds are a very noticable hassle. getting stopped for slightly small number plates and dark visors etc. noone seems to care though, even the bikers.
jeff

Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yorkiejeff
we live not far from one of the best biking roads in the uk( the helmsley TT in north yorkshire) and i am just waiting for this sort of thing to happen. Already the feds are a very noticable hassle. getting stopped for slightly small number plates and dark visors etc. noone seems to care though, even the bikers.
jeff
Wait - you can't use dark visors? Really?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: first council in england to ban bikes off a road