Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Favorite Computer Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Computer Tips

What are your favorite computer tips? Share your favotie tips/software!

I am a big fan of shortcuts. Here are some that I use on a regular basis on my PC:
• ALT+TAB: Switch between programs that you have open
• PRINT SCREEN: Takes a snapshot of your current desktop and saves it on your clipboard (you can then paste it into other aps)
• Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop
• Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer
• Windows Logo+F: Find files or folders

Some other basic shortcuts include:
• CTRL+C: Copy
• CTRL+X: Cut
• CTRL+V: Paste
• CTRL+Z: Undo (I sometimes wish this was available for real life!)

Just in case you don't know what I mean by the "Windows Logo" (some laptops do not have this)

Old 04-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Favorite Computer Tips

Ummmm...make sure your curtains are drawn when you are spankin' it to free internet pr0n...[&:]

p.s. thanks for the windows key + D tip, Onarom. That's a good one!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my favorite computer tip is typing "free pr0n" into a search engine!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Window-L - Lock workstation (at work)
Window-Pause/Break - Brings up system properties
Alt-Printscreen - does the same as printscreen, however only in the active window.

When in Internet Explorer (6.5 or higher) in the address bar you can just clear everything out and type in the "gm" part of www.gm.com and press Ctrl-Enter and it will fill in the .com">http://www.<gm>.com part - That one I use all the time.

F4 gets you to the address line - though in IE7, you have to hit escape to clear the list of sites before you type.

Try this...

F4
Escape (IE7, skip this step with IE6.5)
cbrforum
Ctrl-Enter

Should change the address right up and get you to the main page. - No Mouse.

Alt-Spacebar gets you to the window menu - ie you can use Alt Space x to maximize, Alt Space m to minimize, Alt Space m to move, Alt Space s to size, etc. - I have to use some of these at work occasionally when windows get their position messed up - they show up in the taskbar, but you can't see them. - A quick Alt Space x will Maximize them so you can see them again.

HMMM - others... - I usually leave my "QuickLaunch" bar at the bottom and make the taskbar 2 rows high - then add all my frequent icons right to it. - Gets me around quickly...

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Retired Moderator

Okay, here is one that I just learned a few days ago at work. You can drag a website to your desktop. I'll try to explain. Look up in your address bar. See the little motorcycle? If you minimize your screen, right click and drag to your desktop, it will show up as a shortcut. It is most useful if you are at the home page or log-in page of a site. Like, if I did that right now, I would have a shortcut to this thread. You guys probably already knew this one, though.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Alt-F4 when all hell breaks loose... aka if you need to quickly get rid of everything on the screen so that you don't get caught watching gay pr0n

Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Gibson19

Alt-F4 when all hell breaks loose... aka if you need to quickly get rid of everything on the screen so that you don't get caught watching gay pr0n

I KNOW! Whenever my boyfriend(s) catch me gripping my spam, they, like, get all jealous!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

I KNOW! Whenever my boyfriend(s) catch me gripping my spam, they, like, get all jealous!
It is "handling" your spam...not "gripping". Also, boyfriends are called "life partners" these days.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

It is "handling" your spam...not "gripping". Also, boyfriends are called "life partners" these days.
you of all people would know wouldnt you??? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^ I left myself wide open...but not for man lovin' or bromance (just thought I should clarify). What was this thread about again? [&:]Sorry...

Quick Reply: Favorite Computer Tips