Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Factory financing does not require full coverage insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory financing does not require full coverage insurance

I stopped by a Kaw/Suk dealership yesterday while out working. My buddy I was working with is a Yamaha fan for life and likes Suzuki’s a lot too. Anyways, long story short.... I had told him that I always heard that gixxers are really common and one of the reasons is because if you finance through Suzuki, you don't have to have full coverage insurance. So while we were there, I just asked the guy talking to us and he turned out to be the owner of that shop and another shop that has Yamaha and Suzuki. I asked but he has no love for CBRs, the other dealerships are easier for him to deal with I'm guessing. But... from his own mouth.... Honda is the only factory financing that requires you to have full coverage. The other 3 do not. Here's the trick he told us, because he was the owner and not a salesmen that lives on commission. The local banks, and he says this is for cars/trucks and every bike shop he has ever heard of.... local banks give a bonus to the sales person for using them. If you go in and buy a bike, use bank one down the street, they give Bob that sold you the bike a $100 check for taking you into using bank one. See how it works. The factory finance company may say thanks... no money in it for the sales person. Also, he said Suzuki will finance you on a kaw or a yam... something to think about. Maybe that local yamaha/honda shop will use Yamaha financing for you to buy a Honda. Something to work with. You just have to know what you're talking about when you tell the sales person what finance company to use.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Factory financing does not require full coverage insurance

I used Honda to finanace my bike and I did not have to have full coverage. You only need full coverage when using Honda if you finance over $10000.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Does anybody know if you can re-finance a bike through honda? For example, I bought my bike private party, and the full coverage is killing me. Is there any way I can take the bike to honda and refinance it in order to drop the full coverage? Or is it only on new bikes?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 AM

when you finance through the manufacturer they aren't really giving you a loan, they giving you a credit card of sorts that has been maxed out with the price of your bike. Since its not a vehilce loan, merely a credit card with high interest, you can get away with minimal insurace.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I sold cars for awhile and never, not once, got any type of a bonus for having a customer use a particular back. The kind of stuff was always figured in the Finance office or by the Manager. Not the salesman. I worked with 3 different dealerships in Indy and also bought from a 4th (for cars) and never had it handled any differently. There may be some validity in the full coverage insurance thing depending on where you finance and what, but from my experience, it had nothing to do with a commissioned salesman.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Retired Administrator

so, you're saying your manager kept your $100?

Just kidding. I was just putting out info from a dealership owner and how things work around here. I'm sure it's different in every state, but the more you know, the better deal you may get.

The interest rates on most bike I see is well below 10% and most of the loans I hear about is around the same. You have to have good credit to get the rates, but again... wasn't trying to start a debate, just give out info.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Triax

when you finance through the manufacturer they aren't really giving you a loan, they giving you a credit card of sorts that has been maxed out with the price of your bike. Since its not a vehilce loan, merely a credit card with high interest, you can get away with minimal insurace.
bingo! zuki does the same thing. no lien...no insurance required, only what is required by state law, not the lien holder.

bagels, what insurance co do you have? look around, you can get it cheap, try state farm or amig.org

Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Users

full coverage for me is only 45 a month on a f3 i asked about a new cbr1krr they only wanted 90 a month but still if your makin payment's.....what do you do when the bike get's ducked up [:@]

Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, im paying $37/mo for full. im 21 with 3 cage accidents....so there ya go. i was quoted $74 on an '05 gsxr....i know, that was before...i have seen the light.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM

lol no full coverage when i financed with honda. but i wont ride without it and in 1 month it drops to 45 month since ill be 25 with state farm. itll prolly go back up again when my wreckless kicks in if they dont drop me which i hope they wont. lol and no it wasnt on my bike it was in my cage.

Quick Reply: Factory financing does not require full coverage insurance