Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Facebook goes into overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Facebook goes into overdrive?

With 'real-time' apps, Facebook is always watching - CNN.com

Seriously, some people definitely over share already. Guy at the office post 10-20 things a day. About half is bullchit. And a friend of mine had most her friend list begging for her to either stop with the hubby-love fest during her 1st pregnancy... Or start supplying insulin.

I'm sure they'll have a way for people to control what's auto-shared. But what if its not on by default. Or worse... you have a friend that insists the whole world knows they have no taste in music or movies?

Thoughts?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a facebook when i got to college. at that time, you had to have a verified college email address to be a member. no highschool kids, no parents, just college kids. it was really used to meet people and figure out where the party was on that given night or meet for study groups.

after i graduated, which wasn't too long ago, with everyone liking this and disliking that. too many people sharing pics or other things that shouldn't really be shared ---- it just got too rediculous for me, so i ended up cancelling my account

for example, some facebook friends (but people i hadn't seen nor been friends with in such a long time) were pissed that they weren't invited to my wedding which was for family only.... thats the kind of thing it brings up.

....all in all - IMHO it's BEEN in overdrive for way too long. But this... that is nuts. people tend to dwell on the negative or inappropriate things people do more so than anything else, and i think this is going nothing more than that.

call me crazy, but i like my privacy. i wouldn't want everyone to know my every move, nor would i want to know everyone else's every move. its information overload as it is, and this is just insane. i mean, don't we have more important things to think about during the day other than all the minute details of someone else's day?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally agree with conrice, fb got me into trouble here and there with woman and other things but i thing the way things are going now people are going to start judging people a little bit more for negative things

Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 PM

I must admit I am a facebook addict. I don't post randomly or anything like that but I'm always talking to friends and family since I don't have a phone. It's the first thing I check in the morning when I wake up and the last thing I do before I go to bed.

On the other hand i can relate to the random posts from people talking about nothing at all. it's like people just don't get enough attention so they rely on the likes and dislikes on thier status to make them feel "socially accepted"

Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Triniboi215
I must admit I am a facebook addict. I don't post randomly or anything like that but I'm always talking to friends and family since I don't have a phone. It's the first thing I check in the morning when I wake up and the last thing I do before I go to bed.
No phone but you have Facebook?!?!? Now days that would be acceptable, but a year or 2 ago that would be weird... priorities....

I don't have a Facebook, MySpace ruined that for me. I got tired of the nagging wife asking me who the f*** is this?!?!?

The problem with facebook is people share too much information.. I would think people could care less at what you are doing every minute of the day?? Facebook will be fall just like MySpace. When you start doing way to much, you mess everything up.....

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 AM

Lol, I have no Phone becaue I don't really use one when I have one. I hate talking on the phone and I don't see the reason for me to spend up to and over $100 a month for something I don't really use. With face book. If someone wants to contact me, they send me a message or something and I can check it on my own time. Don't you hate when someone keeps calling you and texting you and then getting mad at when you don't reply (girlfriend/wife) lol. That's one of the main reasons i don't have a phone.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm guilty of random facebook nonsense. The majority of the things I post (probably 98%) are song lyrics to whatever I'm listening to or however I'm feeling that day. But all of my close friends went to college right after highschool while I decided to join the electricians union so it's close to the only way for me to contact them on my/his or her own time. I can't always call or text cause idk their schedules and I see them about 3 times a school year at most. But as far as personal information I've given very little and my pictures are just as random as my stupid posts so for the time being I could give two s**** about what facebook does. But then again I'm only 21 so it affects me differently than a family man or a professional.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
I don't have a Facebook, MySpace ruined that for me. I got tired of the nagging wife asking me who the f*** is this?!?!?

The problem with facebook is people share too much information......

yup, exactly.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm bordering on a "Fb addict" but it is one of the main ways I keep in touch with some friends and what the fraternity is doing. I'm 22 and in college so it makes more sense for me to have one.... I kinda like some of the changes they are doing but I'm tire of every one bitching about ever single little thing that they change. people need to stop leaving by it and remember what its for.

Quick Reply: Facebook goes into overdrive?