Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

f4i Wrecked. =( (nasty pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: f4i Wrecked. =( (nasty pics)

Glad to see you are ok. I understand what you are saying that you didn't plan on doing something that you would have the risk of getting hurt. I agree though that an accident is just that, an accident. You can plan for it. I would like to see more people wearing helmets. Hopefully this will help you. I never use to wear a seatbelt in my car. I then joined the fire service and have been a full time firefighter for four years. The first time I had to peel somone out of a car that didn't wear thier belt I changed my mind. Same thing with wearing a helmet. If you see someone's head that is mush from the pavement it makes you want to wear a helmet. They save about 40% of all motorcycle accidents are at speeds less than 35 MPH and something like 50% of all accidents are within a few miles of home. Again glad you are ok but things like this should open peoples eyes. Heat or not you need to protect yourself. Good luck with recovery.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Capone

I wasn't wearing gear because I wasn't planning on trick riding, and it was about 110 degrees here.
Just think , that could of been your famous last words.
It's hot here in Houston also , just remember , Stupid Hurts.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Capone
I think the thing I learned most outa this expirience is that you gotta pay attention at all times, keep your eyes infront of you
Damn man, sorry to hear about this. I'm glad to hear you are on the road to getting better and you will make a full recovery. I hope you learn more then you have to pay attention though.

You have heard it from other people, and i'll say it as well. If you would have had your gear on, your injuries wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad. You don't plan to crash, Nobody does. It can happen any time for any reason. If you would have had a helmet on, you would have had no head injuries. If you would have had good riding pants and a jacket, your road rash would be minimal, if you would have had boots on, your feet & ankle injuries would have been alot less severe. I know it's too late now to say "if" though. Pleae don't think i'm trying to lecture you, because i'm not. I'm just hoping you and other riders learn from this accident.

I'm down here in FL where it's hotter then hell 18 out of 24 hours a day and with humidity out the roof. We have a saying down here. If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride. I wear full gear, even if it's just a quick trip to the store. You never know what may happen. Get better soon man.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM

well i see u are out numbered on this one...gear is a must always never should be a moment without it....plan for the worst...

(NeonspeedRT) Keep it civil in here guys.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Not to justify not wearing gear. I should have had a helmet and jacket on, I agree. When I got to the hospital they were like, "how fast were ya going?" I wouldn't say because I thought the cops were asking. Finally the trauma doctor was like look, the cops aren't here yet, this is a personal question. "How fast were ya going?" I was like "prolly 75 or so". He's like "I don't see many bike accidents @ 75 with no gear that are talking about it when they arrive." I was like "yea I guess I should of had gear on" he was like "honestly if you would of had boots on you probably would have torn your knee apart, or dislocated your hip severly, you're leg broke at the weakest point" "What you should of had on was a helmet and a jacket". Then he showed me where he crashed his 900 years back, almost same injury, without the foot. So yea, trust me if I ride again I will have gear, but I really don't need the "I told you so" bull****. I learned my lesson, and posted on here so maybe the new guys will realize how fast something can happen and to always be on top your game. Like I said, I should of had my **** on, but I didn't. Thats that. Lesson learned. Thanks for the comments.

btw, I had gloves on! haha.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:08 PM

Yikes. Glad to see you're still with us, much less in as (relatively) good shape as you are. Could have been a lot worse. As for helmet and gear, I'm not one to preach to anyone. I usually ride in jeans, a t-shirt, and safety glasses. AND I've laid my bike down that way, so I definitely feel your pain. My only take on it is this, If my number is up, its up whether I'm wearing a helmet and gear or a suit of armor strapped in the back of an 18 wheeler doing 3 mph. But I have also learned to pay VERY close attention to what I'm doing and whats happening around me at all times...But good luck with the recovery and hope you're back on your feet soon!

Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude -- if my number is up I want to be dead not skinned alive. About the worst thing I ever recall was a bout with road rash from skateboarding -- 7 nights of frikkin fire. I learned my lesson at age 14 -- never again with no gear. On high pressure days I still get up with a limp.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM

Glad you're going to make it through with minimal long-term effects from your crash.

I think you did learn some valuable lessons about riding and I hope this thread shows others out there what can happen to you when you ride with no gear, but mostly how most accidents could have been prevented by the motorcyclist.

Yeah, I said most accidents could be prevented by the rider. Nothing about fault, but almost every accident you hear about if the rider would have been paying more attention, or doing something differently then the accident would never have happened. Keep in mind, right or wrong, the biker is the one sucking pavement. I don't want to be the guy that proves that he has the right-away by chewing on someone's bumper.

Keep the rubber side down guys!

Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Dude!!!!
It is by the grace of god that you are still alive here to talk about this today. I truly hope you realize that... First off, there was a guy here in Austin that died last week of a bike wreck on a Honda shadow 750 doing a U-turn. He turned too fast, and highsided. He died of head trauma, he wasn't wearing a helmet, gloves or a jacket. You must understand, that this was not at any real speed.. So considering your situation, you were being watched after that day. Please, if you ride again don't push your luck again. Its not worth dying for!

Something else you said, not wearing gear because its hot is crazy. I live in Tx, and its HOT here all the time and humid. When I'm sitting there in the sun with just my helmet on, my arms are scorching, and I sweat like a mad dog. Even when I'm moving, my arms are still scorching hot.. But when I wear my riding jacket I may sweat inside the jacket, but the sun no longer bakes me. And by the way, as soon as I start moving the sweat inside the jacket cools me down SOOOOO Fast, that I get goosebumps. So I have no idea why people complain about wearing a jacket/gear. I have the ventillated riding pants to go along with the jacket, and they work just as well. Truly, there is no reason why riding without your gear. Besides, to me its part of being a motorcycle rider, and quite frankly it looks cool. Besides, going into the mall toting your helmet around gets attention from the ladies.. Hmmmwahahahaha..

Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM

I know what you are saying about it being hot where you are from and that you didn't feel like wearing your gear. Many will comment that you would of been better off if you had your gear on. The fact is that everyone has ridden without most of or none of there gear on and they have been very lucky not to have something happen to them. I can remember when it was so hot in Vegas I would ride to the gym in my t-shirt, shorts and a helmet. I am lucky nothing ever happened and I probably will not do it again. The point is that you learned from your experience and you will be riding again soon.

Quick Reply: f4i Wrecked. =( (nasty pics)