Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Eye surgery

Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eye surgery

I had my first of two eye surgeries today to correct my vision, I am not a candidate for Lasik so I had lens implants. I was seeing 20/20 shorty after the procedure was done on that eye. My close up vision is a little off but will be better i guess after a few days. I see the Dr tomorrow for a recheck and to make sure things are going well. Im on a ton of eye drops for the next four weeks. I get the other eye done hoepfully next week. Its like starting a whole new life for me. My vision was so bad i couldnt focus anything a few inches in front of my face. So that tells ya I was pretty blind lol. It will be nice not to have to take glasses on and off to get my helmet on and off too lol. Ill finally be free from those devilish contacts/glasses. If you have really bad vision and not a condidate for Lasik you should check it out.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Eye surgery

Isn't the lens implant surgery pretty similar to getting cateracts (spelling) fixed? My dad had both of his done with new lenses for the cateracts, but he still requires glasses. He's also like 500 years old, so there's a difference.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:03 PM

Glad it all came out ok. I would love to get Lasik, just to pricey for me up front. Over time I imagine you would save though. I had no idea they did such a thing as lens implants. Amazing what things there are available now.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 PM

how much does it cost. also does it last long? i worked with a couple people that had lasik done and they said it was great but there vision has been slowly getting worse.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude that's great! Hope everything works out perfect. I had the lasik years ago and I've been 20/20 in left and 20/15 in the right ever since. The funny thing is that even 5 years after having it done there are still mornings when I wake up and reach for my glasses

Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Ironmang

Glad to hear it went well!! Good vision is definitely important, especially with a hobby such as ours. 20/20, I'm jealous!! I'm looking into Lasik within the next couple of months. My vision has been horrible ever since I was a kid, and my vision is currently 20/100 corrected (can't be corrected any more than that with glasses/contacts), plus astigmatisms in both eyes. So yea, they're pretty ***'d too, LOL. Whenever we go somewhere new and somebody asks me to lead, I gotta remind them that I passed my vision test to get my drivers license by guessing (seriously... gotta get through the 3rd line down on that chart to pass, and I was guessing through the 3rd line. Must have guessed right though!), hahahah

I hope with either Lasik or some other form of surgery I can have something done to correct. I'm sick of not being able to see street signs!! [:@] Soon as I get back from my roadtrip next month I'm gonna start saving $$ to have something done

Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 AM

Yes this is basically the same thing as cataract surgery BUT...I get to keep my originsl lense unlikewith cataract surgery it gets taken out. So with this procedure I will be able to focus near and far. For me its costing about 2k an eye with the waiver of the Dr's fee only becuz I am using an experimental lense. It has been out on the market for awhile but they were only doing one eye, now they are doing both. My vision is 20/1100 (I can only focus a few inches in front of my face without glasses or contacts). I talked to a guy today whose vision is 20/1900 (very,very blind lol) who got his second lense and is seeing 20/20. So very promising for me, he got his first lense 2 years ago. I think it is a great alternative to Lasik for peaople with poor vision/thin corneas who are not a candidate for lasik. A nice benefit is it is reversible if something goes wrong and yur just back to yur old eyesight.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Yo, Supersteve ... I know it's not nice to make fun of blind peeps (technically you're only half blind now) but maybe with your new eye you'll notice that your avatar is a cartoon chick with jiggly *****. Maybe it was intentional and you already know ... I'm not here to judge. Just letting you know[8D]

Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM

i keep waiting for the day that insurance pays for lasik. i would LOVE to get it done. with glasses it's a pain do deal with helmet. contacts are ok but the dust kills my eyes.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Retired Administrator

I had PRK surgery on my eyes on sep 11th 2001.... 9-11 ring a bell with anyone? My vision is still 20/20 in both eyes. Cost was really high.... FREE. PRK is one of the most aggressive and for me the most painful two weeks of my life. I laid on a couch with cold rags on my eyes while I was snorting Lortabs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eye surgery