Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ever had somebody not pay for something?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever had somebody not pay for something?

Ever had somebody buy something from you, but just never pay you for the part or for the shipping? I shipped a guy a part that I was selling. It was only $10 plus what ever shipping was going to be. The reason for me selling was to just clear out my garage of some parts and put my un-needed parts into the hands of people who do need them. Before recieving a money order, I sent the part. Perhaps a bad idea. But whatever. So I ship the part. I'm out money for shipping, the part itself, and never recieved the money. I wait a little bit, nothing comes. PM the buyer, and he says he sent it to the wrong zip code. No big deal, he'll send it again. I'm not suspicious or anything. So I wait another 2 weeks and still nothing. Not a big deal, because I'm sure it'll come. I try to PM the buyer, and nothing. I message him online, and he acknowledges my IM then sets his status to "away" a couple seconds later. So it seems like he's avoiding me.

This might not be the case. And I'm not accusing anyone of anything yet. $17 or $19 or whatever it was, plus the cost of a part I could have sold on ebay for much more than $10... I'm not getting screwed out of a lot of money, if that is what this turns out to be. What ever the case, hopefully this post will get my buyer's attention and will expedite my payment. I'm not going to say who it is yet because this all could just be totally innocent. We all get caught up in our schedules and can have limited time, or even can just forget things. I understand that completely. I'd just like to know what's going on.

And I'm not taking money orders for anything, ever again. Paypal. I'll take that small Paypal "tax" in exchange for getting payment instantly and without the possibility of it getting misaddressed, lost, or stolen. Or cash placed in my hand.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Default RE: Ever had somebody not pay for something?

This process began on April 20th, by the way.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

taking money orders is not a bad thing in itself -- whatever method of payment you chose to accept, just make sure it clears with your bank before shipping product.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM

I have sold quite a few things on ebay to support my compulsions (bikes, cars etc)lol and I have been stung a few times by non payers and so on. I realize this wasnt an ebay transaction, but people can be the same everywhere you go. As far as Im concerned, its cash or paypal only and heres why.
I know someone who sold a car on Ebay...$2000.00 for the car, another $2000.00 to ship it.
So the guy gets the $4000.00 money order, deposits it right? waits a couple days and it clears his bank branch.
3 days later the buyer tells him, he found an awesome deal on shipping, wire him back $2000.00 and he is going to ship it himself.
So, the guy wires him $2000.00 thinking the money order already cleared so he is safe, he still has the car and $2000.00 right?
Well a few days after that, and the money order makes it further down the line, it is discovered to be fake and they take the money back out of the account...$2000.00 that wanst realy there in the 1st place, and $2000.00 of this guys own money since he withdrew $2000.00 and wired it.

NEVER EVER wire money...especial on ebay that ALWAYS ends up as a scam
I have done lots and lots of research on how scams on ebay work beacuse one of my very 1st experiences on ebay i got stung for $3100.00

Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: regener8ed

taking money orders is not a bad thing in itself -- whatever method of payment you chose to accept, just make sure it clears with your bank before shipping product.

Agreed. But I can see how for less than $20 you'd trust a member on the board. Hopefully it's some minor mixup, but since April 20th is quite a long time to straighten out a minor mixup.

Hope it all works out.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:45 AM

yeah, that happened to us once, never got the money back.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 PM

That's my mindset. Gotta be a mix up, mistake, forgetfulness, and/or just something else. I don't think someone is going to bother getting their name dragged through the mud for less than $20. I only posted this to hear other's stories and hopefully get his attention. I'd still probably get drinks with the guy if he weren't across the country. No hard feelings or anything yet.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 AM

I hate people that do that bro, hopefully it will clear up for ya. the last time i was on ebay, i ordered a kicker L7 for my truck, but recieved it blown when it was clearly stated as being working in perfect condition. i should of seen it coming because the dood had a 20 items sold and 95% feedback, and the 20 things he DID buy were cadillac emblems for like 1982 coupe de vill's n ****

Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I sell things on ebay I either use PayPal or USPS money order, that way when you get the money order you can cash it at the post office when you take the item to be shipped. Not to mention if someone wants the feds after them for couterfeiting their money orders that is their problem.[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 06-11-2006, 12:55 PM

I use paypal for everything. I had to rebuild my bike with many misc. parts and paypal became my friend instantly. It just sucks because there are so many scammers in the world. I had someone somehow get my credit card number and tried making a foreign ebay account and charged a 1.28 twice but it was declined both times. Visa caught on quickly and denied both because they were from France! I got lucky because the fraud prevention guy said that if either one of those would have went through I would have seen many transactions exceeding what I have in the bank. Paypal has been ticking me off lately because I keep getting these things from them stating I added this to my account or that to my account. Quite frustrating that it has to be like that.

Although I would not have been responsible for the charges it still irritates you.