Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ever been to a cruiser bike rally?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

dude, you're not getting it, go to both and you'll see how similiar they are.

you won't see just a sea of sportbikes at a race - you'll see tons of cruisers and standards. (think about daytona races....what kind of bikes do you think there are more of at that race)

go to this rally, i'm sure you'll find an area with a ton of sportbikes, go to a race, and you'll see a ton of twins and cruisers.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
dude, you're not getting it, go to both and you'll see how similiar they are.
Fair enough. But let me throw this out there for you: at a MotoGP weekend the focus point are the races. Aint nobody rode from Colorado down to the Laguna Seca GP just to hang out and not even have a ticket to go inside the gates and see the races. I looked up some youtube videos for this bike rally here in Red River and it seemed fine and all --a lot of booths selling stuff, tons of bikes lined up on the street, etc. ..like I said, it seemed fine. I'm sure the people are cool! Its my mistake if I sounded like cruisers were inferior in some way.

The Texas MotoGP is not till 2013 ..bummer. Rossi might be gone by then. On the other hand it might be his farewell year. That would make being there more awesome. Also Ben Spies is from Texas, as well as the former world champion Kevin Schwantz. I know more about racing than I do about touring. And thats my loss too, because touring on a motorcycle is probably amazing with the right people. Its all good.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

and you do know that colin edwards is also from there too right?

i'm sure rossi will still be there. he won't leave until he's made that ducati into racing success. it'll take at least a year after the rule change.

like you, tx gp is the only one that i'll ever be able to get to because of where i live, and if it does end up being built - i will be going to the inaugural.

i'm just saying, get out and go support all bike events in your area. the only people that'll look out for bikers are other bikers, so don't be so stand-off ish - which is how i took your original post

Last edited by Conrice; 05-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
and you do know that colin edwards is also from there too right?
edwards is a rider i like very very much. i especially like his bluntness in the press conferences, and theres a video of him lifting himself off a lowside by using his elbow a couple of years ago thats killer too. about 5 years ago when yamaha had their anniversary with retro colors at the laguna motogp, edwards had a special helmet paintjob done with the yellow/black theme. the design was from drudi performance, who are the friends of rossi and do all of his helmet designs too. anyway i saw there was a post-laguna version done up for valencia with the same design but different colors, and i went totally bananas for it. i found a new one in japan on ebay, finally, and here it is, safe at home: (and now you know part of my username backstory)

Last edited by motorcycle5; 05-28-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
I spent my early childhood around real bikers, the california chapter of a certain biker gang spent many weekends parked all over my parents lawn and I loved those guys.
I stopped riding with guys around here because they lacked any kind of brotherhood, even a particles worth. One time this jackass in a car sped up to make it hard for the bike ahead of me to pass him, so when I passed the same car I swooped across his front end hard- to let him know we were a group of riders and that he was a *****. 10 miles later getting gas these same 'friends' of mine were excitedly telling me the car was riding my back tire for a few miles really really close (I dont have a rear view.) Finally I had enough and said 'why the hell didnt you let me know instead of hiding out like a bunch of girls!' I stopped riding with guys because more than half are just acting out some immature drivel clothed in black leather.
I want to know the other biker has my back.
I want to know they can defend themselves.
I want to know we will defend each other.

..I never found that feeling with sportbike friends. And I'm guessing the majority of cruiser types lack the same instinct. Conrice wanted to smooth the waters and thats cool, but bikers dont want to (potentially) defend each other against idiots in cars (even when riding in the same group) nearly as much as they want to dress in the same kind of clothes as each other.

Last edited by motorcycle5; 05-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcycle5
I stopped riding with guys around here because they lacked any kind of brotherhood, even a particles worth. One time this jackass in a car sped up to make it hard for the bike ahead of me to pass him, so when I passed the same car I swooped across his front end hard- to let him know we were a group of riders and that he was a *****. 10 miles later getting gas these same 'friends' of mine were excitedly telling me the car was riding my back tire for a few miles really really close (I dont have a rear view.) Finally I had enough and said 'why the hell didnt you let me know instead of hiding out like a bunch of girls!' I stopped riding with guys because more than half are just acting out some immature drivel clothed in black leather.
I want to know the other biker has my back.
I want to know they can defend themselves.
I want to know we will defend each other.

..I never found that feeling with sportbike friends. And I'm guessing the majority of cruiser types lack the same instinct. Conrice wanted to smooth the waters and thats cool, but bikers dont want to (potentially) defend each other against idiots in cars (even when riding in the same group) nearly as much as they want to dress in the same kind of clothes as each other.
Ok- I'll have to say I'm confused now. Originally you didn't want to be around cruiser-types cause you "felt" that they wouldn't be the type of person you want to associate yourself with, and would prefer to attend events with just sportbike riders.

Now you state that you don't trust sportbike riders either?

I'd quit worrying about what people ride & how they dress and start focusing on finding the kind of people you want to be around, or find some that would be around you. Cause it sounds like you've got a pretty strict set of rules, and it really sounds like the rules for an old-school biker gang instead of a handful of guys that just wanna go rip around some twisties on the weekend.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
..and it really sounds like the rules for an old-school biker gang instead of a handful of guys that just wanna go rip around some twisties on the weekend.
I want both= a handful of friends to rip around the corners on weekends together AND a handful of friends that look out for each other and arent afraid to give a middle finger to errant car drivers. I dont see why those have to be mutually exclusive. But they seem to be.

p.s. and you dont need to give me advice, ok? i'm good.

Last edited by motorcycle5; 05-29-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 AM

ok, well back on topic... every year my home town hosts bikes blues and bbq, i would have to say that about 75-90% of the bikes are cruzers but there are always a few pretty sweet sportbikes. I go just about every year but this will be the fist year that i actually get to ride!!

Quick Reply: Ever been to a cruiser bike rally?