Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Engineering members...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engineering members...

^5 Julsbot....big smoochies

Old 10-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ Whoa............. bow chicka wow wow

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what? chicks making out ...
<= Kewl subscribes to thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 AM

wtf? is this thread about..i read a little bit and it made sense..skipped a page or 2 and then..what?

alls i hear is pirate talk.

yarrrrr [8D][>:]

Dont do this to me. 25mg of oxycodone every 4 hours. i cant follow this crap!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:00 AM

hmmm....lab experiement??......very interesting. Oh jules.......hun??.....he said lab experiment......

Old 10-25-2008, 05:41 AM

wow, this one really got off topic......

to get back to his question. I think your thought process is good and your thinking in the right direction. trying to make something better and more versitle. But,

I thinkusing ball screws in an area where heat is present wont work. I know they are stainless steel, but steel expands. The tolerance on the screw and ***** are so tight, any increase in size due to heat will result in lock up. You also have to worry about the quickness of them. Servo motors are not very fast. On an engine, as the rpms go up, so does the cycle rate of the valves. A ball screw changing directions that fast that many times will likely over heat on its own, let alone from engine heat. There just isn't anywhere for the heat to go.

I think you would be better off using just a magneticdriven servo with a spring loaded return. When they are powered up, the internal shaft is driven to the full extent of the servo. Have a manual adjustment for stroke, like an adjustable hard stop you could leave these external of the valve cover for easier adjustment. they could also run off a crank angle sensor. And, being magnetic and spring driven, they would be very fast to open and close.

I think most instructors are going to look a lot of different things for your final project. even if the idea isnt practicle, as long as you instill the lessons youve learned and explained why things are the way they are, you should be fine.

But, most of the time, the simplier you keep it, the better of you will be.

Quick Reply: Engineering members...