Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Engineering members...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engineering members...

Thanks Pam

Old 10-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Hush Steven........Smoochie

Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

ORIGINAL: Pamw

hmmmm...
Even my mum used to tell me to shush up ... then gimmie a little smooch ...no wonder I am disturbed ?[:-]

still crushed[X(] ...more smoochie coochie needed!!

Yes, well you can have a smooch from me too but also a swift kick out the door, this is a serious thread now scat!!

*Soft Smooch* ...swift KICK!!

Jules

Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you heard the lady.....

Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

ORIGINAL: Pamw

hmmmm...
Even my mum used to tell me to shush up ... then gimmie a little smooch ...no wonder I am disturbed ?[:-]

still crushed[X(] ...more smoochie coochie needed!!
Awww smoochie

Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Aweasel

Most of my nights lately are spent researching this damn project we have to do to graduate, it basically demands a hefty portion of everything we've learned or at least been introduced to in the past 4 years. Basically we have to come up with an invention/innovation that is within the realm of possibility but not necessarily probability. I've messed around cars a bit to know how they work so I toyed around with the idea of combining what I've learned in CNC classes, robotics, materials science, with what I know about cars.
Ultimately I came up with a few crazy things but finally settled on (and now stuck with lol) this plan: Ball-screw actuated valve train system.
If you don't know what ball screws are, they are basically the precision drivelines of linear CNC machines, they are a precision engineered screw that are used in conjunction with stepper motors to get the super accurate linear travel cnc machines are capable of...something like .0001" is not out of the question at all.

A company does indeed make ball screws with diameters as small as 3mm. My design works best with 4v per cylinder, 1 ball screw for every 2 valves with a bridge in the middle linking the 2 valves. Unfortunately this would likely be really expensive but if it was programmed correctly you could essentially have an infinite combination of "cam swaps" possible with a few quick programming strokes, possibly pre-defined from the factory like "towing, performance, economy..." It would also eliminate a lot of moving parts and lighten up the engine a bit.
Does it seem a bit far fetched?
I think this course is flawed in general because any such crazy innovation/invention someone can come up with it's nowhere near as good as it could be without collaboration...ie teamwork but alas it's what I gotta do. Please criticize away, I love hearing different opinions about this stuff.

for the too long didn't read people...yer lazy lol
I don't know if I wholeheartedly agree with this. Many, many innovations were "started" by one person who had passion for what they are working on. Many times you cannot give someone else that same passion for your vision unless they can see some sort of prototype.

Many innovations have been driven by one lazy person (lazy can be interchanged with innovative if you wish). Many times it's one person's vision that drives all else, but until you have that vision, you would just haphazardly give people a drawing of a circle and expect them to understand the vision that only you can see.

Yes, the product can become MUCH MUCH better with collaboration...but it only takes one person to start the gears moving.

Some one man innovations:
[ul][*]The first DOS program built by one person.[*]Sidewinder missile.[*]ANYTHING invented by Ben Franklin.[*]The Cotton Gin.[*]The Telephone[*]The TV[/ul]

Another thing...sometimes pictures speak more than words. Do you have a drawing of it?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, some basic pictures would be good as my befuddled brain these days is imaging a complete mess of servo motors and ball screws atop every valve and a whole load of melted wiring ..lol ..ditzs need pics and schematics ;-)

Jules

Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Example:

My company sends out emails to clients. Our old system sent plain text based emails. The company didn't see the potential of HTML. I created an FAQ style email in HTML format to show as an example of the difference of subtle visual cues in the email. After seeing that, I was tasked on rewriting our sending program.

The new program now consists of templates for different types of emails, that allowed different articles depending on the client. The new system also ended up sending multiple emails at the same time, shortening the time of sending 16,000 emails over a span of 8+ hours to an hour. The same system now sends 300,000 emails. The system also integrates it's data with our current database systems.

The emails have gone through some revisions from other people adding new ideas and using their knowledge of different parts of the programming language.

Quick Reply: Engineering members...