Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Educate me on front vs rear brake situations

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on front vs rear brake situations

So, you take the MSF, you get "use both brakes" drilled into your head.

Now that I'm reading more, the general message that I'm getting is that for sportbikes, rear brake= balance on gravel, slow speed manuevers, while front brake= stoppage.

Input?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

I use my front brake probably 90% of the time, I rarely use my rear to stop.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:10 PM

I use the rear for a bit of stabilization if I have to change my line in mid curve or something and I use it always to finish up stopping after I let off the front brake, it brings you to a nice controlled stop. I do touch the rear brake with a bit of pressure in most all braking situations but the majority of the stopping power is applied to the front.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Back in the day when tires were hard as Hell, it was scary using both brakes to slow down cause it was almost inevitable that the rear would slide out on you if you had to stop quick. But these modern tires grab really well and provide good grip for stopping, and thank God for that! There has been a few times when I went into a ramp or corner a little too hot and had to use the rear brake hard to get slowed down and have never had a problem yet with it slidding out on me. But every mile you ride is different. If I'm just putting around I'll use more rear brake, but generally I'll use both of them to get better mileage on the tires and pads.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm with dragginazz on that. I use the rear brake a lot on the street, just to add a little "oomph" to engine braking, or for pulling in while turning without the risk of throwing a ton of brake force with the front brake. You kinda use it in conjunction with the clutch micro-manage the power to the rear.

Of course, it wears your pads and rotors down way faster.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 PM

When exactly would you want to use the rear brake soley? I don't understand how correctly driving on gravel or at low speeds would require soley the rear brake.

I was always taught to stop effectively, you use them both end of story.

If you're getting fancy with using one or the other you're probably in a situation that you shouldn't be in like turning. Don't plan for that.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horses for courses, My Guzzi's used to have a linked brake system, the rear brake pedal activated the rear brake (naturally you would think) & one of the front discs. The front brake lever activated the other front disc, in the manual it said for "Emergency braking". Your style of braking & what brakes you use comes down to your riding habits, same thing with just about everything else you do when you ride, setting up curves, cornering & taking off from the lights (whatever), all the things you do when you ride, most of which you don't even think about when you ride are your riding habits. Good or bad, your riding habits go with you, even over to different types of bikes.
For instance, most of us realise that braking while in a corner is not a good thing, but on my old Beemer which had Brembo's, you could, it did not make the bike stand up, but when I moved onto another bike I nearly killed myself a few times because I had to stop the habit as my new bike didn't respond the same way.
Imagine setting up the front & rear brakes of your car/truck, so that they could be activated independently, going to change your style of driving straight away
The truth of matter is this, you have brakes on the front & you have brakes at the rear, their designed to stop the bike & you & I use both of the buggers 100% of the time. The issue is not front or rear braking, the mystery is really down to how much pressure you apply to either & to the braking scenario, gravel, wet road & how fast you need to stop.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Falqon
When exactly would you want to use the rear brake soley? I don't understand how correctly driving on gravel or at low speeds would require soley the rear brake.

I was always taught to stop effectively, you use them both end of story.

If you're getting fancy with using one or the other you're probably in a situation that you shouldn't be in like turning. Don't plan for that.
There are situations where only rear brake helps- gravel/low speeds are two of them. I couldn't get the hang of tight u-turns till I learned to use the rear brake.

I'm just interested in the number of people (not just track riders) who say they never use the rear brake for ordinary stopping.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Hell sometimes i use my front brake in a turn, just a little bit though dont squeeze.

Rear brake=Drifting her in a turn,cornering to change your line, gravel,u-turns. Wheelies.
Front brake=Coming to a stop, stoppies, corner entrance, etc, etc
Both brakes= Coming to a stop, emergency situations, etc etc.

Try to brake hard with just the front, then do the rear and feel how stable it becomes. You get way less nose dive.

Quick Reply: Educate me on front vs rear brake situations