Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Economy (NOT POLITICAL)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Economy (NOT POLITICAL)

As the title reads, this is NOT a political thread, so no B.S. responses please......but I'm thinking out loud about the economy.......

You know how they've been "trying" for a while now (both the Bush and Obama Administrations) to come up with a solution to solve the current state of the Economy? To me, it sounds like a lot of guessing because the truth be told.....no one knows what will fix it.

---BUT---

What if the economy is like a wound? If you are constantly rubbing healing ointments and constantly cleaning it instead of leaving it alone, it'll never heal. What if the economy is the same way? What if the thing to do is nothing at all, and let it heal itself?

Again, this is a mature discussion about the Economy........no political propaganda please.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Upon reading your post.........maybe the wound analogy is a bit off. I've been thinking a bit more (more so on the analogy side just to get people to think of it in a different way)......and I've come up with fire.

A natural forest fire ravages through the forest, torching anything and everything to ash. But it doesn't stay that way. The fire cleanses the forest and is given a fresh slate to regrow itself. We as humans have very little control over a forest fire and really can only prevent certain parts from being torched. (much like the current economic state, there's only so much we can do). But eventually, like all fires, it will die down and the regrowth can begin.

I'm just hoping the fire we are in now is short lived.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Economys fail from Missmanagement. It happend in England in the 1960's when all the Lords where too lazy, and thought they where too good to take care of the factorys, with retooling etc. And it compeltly collapsed.

Same thing is going on in America, companys like gm are failing from poor management. These days the higer up's would rather sell everything off and retire in Hawaii with 5 ferarii's. The other problem is that Americians think, because they are managers. they are much better, smarter, and the avg working man is just a dumb peasant and doesn't matter at all. I believe that elitist attitude is what makes everything crumble in hard times.

My fathers aircraft factory when from making 14 million profit every year and 600 employee's. Then last year an americian company took over it.. It was whittled down to 185 employee's and they just annouced last week there shutting it down completly, and selling everything off.
Despite, they are STILL making money
Bad management again

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The problem with our economy and the world in general is based on one thing.... Greed

So until we can find some way around it, which probably won't happen, nothing will change

Last edited by DJ600RR; 01-29-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of really smart economists predicted this recession a while back. First it was the bubble markets in FL, CA and AZ. A major part of our economy was based on a pyramid scheme of sorts. The last buyer of the property got tagged.

The "fix" is tricky. In past recessions interest rates were high which led to credit being denied. Now the interest rate is near 0 so no where to go on that front. So they big boys decide to inject cash into the system and hope people spend us out of this recession.

It's similar in nature to global warming. For every expert that says one thing you got another saying something else. Then peeps line up on each side according to their own agenda. My biggest beef with the bailout is that the first 350 billion was controlled by 7 peeps. Most economist actually did agree that the credit freeze was the biggest contributor to the ongoing problem. So the bulk of the money was given to the banks ... but they did not lend it out. Instead they bought up weaker banks.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 AM

What about what happened during the Great Depression and the resulting WWII? Depending on how you look at it, the war was a huge stimulus/bailout package that effectively pulled America out of an economic crisis. There were a lot of other factors that helped but essentially what I'm saying is we need WWIII, and boom we go back to being the kings of the world.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 AM

I do not understand how a WWIII would help (im not tryng to be a smart ***) Wouldnt this cause more spending. I really liked your fire analogy blue fox, but how long and hot can this fire burn for before we start seeing life again? I am not an expert on any of these topics but I am greatly interested. Since this recession started I started to read a book pertaining to the ripple effect. Its interesting to put everything into perspective and see whats causing a certain person or place to go under.

Quick Reply: The Economy (NOT POLITICAL)