Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

eBay troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay troubles!

I had my first bad experience with eBay today. I sold a guitar and took it to the UPS store for shipping. I asked for a packing service, and I paid $50 for a box, packing, and shipping. I didn't watch the guy at the counter actually pack the item... I just stood there while he made sure the box was big enough. The buyer emails me today claiming the guitar iscracked and not as described.
Now, he has filed a claim with Paypal, and the money he used to pay is frozen. I asked him to send me pics of the damage because I know it wasn't cracked when I sent it. He won't send me pics because he says he's on dial-up.
I responded to the claim on Paypal, telling them my side of the story. Anyone with experience know how this works? Am I going to get screwed out of my money AND get back a broken guitar? If I get screwed I'm going to be so pissed. I was going to use that money to spend on my bike!
Would it be possible to make a claim with UPS?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
LUk
Default RE: eBay troubles!

Unless you payed for insurance I'm pretty sure UPS won't care.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
VP

^------Yup... insurance will protect the seller and the buyer... paypal only protects the buyer. In your case,if you can somehow get the manager at the packaging location to understand your side of the story but even still you won't be able to prove it wasn't cracked unless the guy that packed it agrees with you that it wasn't.

Btw, this doesn't sound like a bad ebay experience at all.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Retired Moderator

That's a bad deal, Tennessee...I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

do you have pictures from when you shipped it out ? then you can prove it wasnt sold like that. well atleast it should help back up your claim that it was how it was described

Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM

u should make your auction with insurance required when they pay just add it to the total. then everyone wins.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 AM

UPS provides insurance for the product up to $100 automatically. After that it's $.50 per every $100. UPS will demand that the buyer let them inspect the package for insurance. They guy has no choice but to take pictures. Paypal will try and screw you, but there are other options, including eBay and UPS.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold an aquarium over ebay, packaged it real nice, but UPS broke it. I filed a claim with UPS, 3 weeks later I had my money from the insurance, buyer kept the aquarium, and I refunded their money. If you sold it on ebay, do you have pictures of the item NOT damaged? when i filed my claim, they didnt even send an inspector to look at the itme, but they might, so tell the seller to keep the packaging. on the plus side, it was their store that packed it as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:52 AM

I don't have pictures of the part of the guitar he claims is cracked. Doh!! I'm not sure if I bought insurance or not, but I declared a value of $300, and there is an extra "fuel surcharge" of $1.54 that I paid for. Is that Insurance?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM

If you declared a value of $300 to the UPS guy and it's on the reciept (wouldn't listed as line item, but would probably be in their records) you have then you were insured to $300. (+the UPS store costs)

Contact the buyer right away and make him save packing and get pictures. Even with dial up, it doesn't take forever to send a 600x400 pic.

Quick Reply: eBay troubles!