Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

eBay brake pads makes grinding noise...beware.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default eBay brake pads makes grinding noise...beware.

Ok members, I wanna share this from experience. I replaced me RR's rear pads. Purchase from eBay, nothing fancy, just plain Kevlar brake pads with no brand what so ever. I went ahead and change the pads, everything gone well. Works well for $18 pads....

So my Chrysler T & C needed front new pads, so I order the cheapest one available on EBay. Went to brake shop and had them change. Brake shop said I needed rear pads too...it's beginning to grind the rotor. I did not know I needed rear pads, only purchase front pads.

So I purchase rear pads front brake shop for 2x $$$. Brake shop said don't use cheap pads or it'll be noisy...I was think...little noise ok...better than hurting my wallet.

1st 3 month, vehicle brake well with little squeak sound, like indicator than you need replace brake pads. So I pay no attention to it. Then 4-5 month later, when hard braking...makes a damn low tone grind, like concrete on concret....I peek into the F/R rotor...front rotor have a good size lip, rear rotor look flush and clean....so obviously the front is making the sound....

Took vehicle back to brake shop, technician check it, said that's normal...it's not a hazard to drive, but sounds terrible... He said just drive it until pads worn out, grind out the rotor, then replace all new rotor and pads at same time. He said my front rotor needs replacing anyway...so why not get my money's worth and wear the **** out of the front pads+rotor.

Does this sound like the right way to go?

Man...if I knew cheap pads make such a loud grind...I'll rather buy better pads for $20 more...

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, cheap pads squeal and makes other horrid racket, no suprise there, also messes up yer rims, espacially on front. I once bought cheap pads to my old Vw Passat, and they made this soul-scratching high pitch squeak like icy knives in your ear, also had some hard bits in them that grinded my rotors useless...

There is a saying: "poor cannot afford cheap". Supriringly true, have found out the hard way...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got rotors and pads for our LHS from ebay. The rotors are slotted & drilled, this was for all 4 wheels, installed them and never had an issue...was $197 bucks for all 4.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM

I know times are tough, but please don't cheap out on pads or tires. Those two things are so vital and your life isn't worth saving just a few bucks. I'm not saying you have to go OEM, but at least a reputable brand like DP, Vesrah or EBC.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sacrificing brake performance to get your money's worth....not a smart thing to do. Next time you head down south, let me take a look at them for you.

Your pads are like oats. You can have the oats that go into the goat or the oats that come out. The oats that come out are cheaper, but are still oats.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Sum copper paste around the brake pads "legs" and to where it meets the caliper/piston helps to the squeek, but even though mythbusters proved otherwise, you can't polish a poop... Or at least shouldn't...

Somewhat offtopic, but brake and tire-related:

I got a biggish surprise a few days back when I was driving my Citroen Xantia I just bought a few weeks back, minding my own business when suddenly the queue ahead of me stopped. I jumped on the brake pedal, used to driving a Volvo S80, confident it will stop. It didn't. The studded slim winter tires combined with the air suspension resulted in a violent body roll, the whole weight of the car jumped onto the front tires resulting in a long skid on dry tarmac, had to steer onto the lane on my right to avoid plowing into the tow hook of the Honda SUV in front of me...

The lesson here: know your ride, and equip according to conditions...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
February 2012 ROTM

+1....next time I'll go with something mid-range...thing was I only thought cheap pad only made some noise....not like scraping ice or concrete on concrete noise. This was only coming out from the front, luckily my rear both are higher quality heavy duty purchased from shop....so stopping performance is good for a VAN....but sounds terrible. I've found a set of Mopar rotors an pads for great deal, bought it and went to shop yesterday, mechanic say it's safe to driv but sound bad....telling me to use it up & get my money's worth.

Then come back and he'll install both rotor and pad for
$100....cause he has to turn the new rotors? I ask him these are brand new Mopar rotors from dealer, he say yes, they turn new rotors too because new parts sits in storage and maybe somewhat warp...just a lite turn will make surface smooth for new pads...

Does this sound right? And $50 each rotor/ pads = $100 sound ok?

I can change the pads in my bike cause I can do it slowly....as for my van, I need it for daily work, I don't want to dig into job and unable to finish same day.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM

Please explain "turn"? like shave a slice off in a lathe or something? I`ve NEVER heard anyone doing anything other than spray the stogare-grease off new rotors upon mounting them. U got a G20? Replacing rotors and pads is a fairly easy job, just going to need some special tools (not necessary, but way faster)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

you shouldnt need to turn new rotors, especially OE rotors. (cheap china garbage...maybe). some OE rotors are even coated to prevent rust and help the pads seat correctly.

if you want to make a trip down to the 951 some weekend, i put on your stuff...for free, and it'll be right. i can do it in less than an hour and save you $100! up to you though....

Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Is a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country LX...I just got 2 set front oem Mopar rotors & pads...

951 is not far....no hurry though..let me
Kill these cheap pads....keep in touch. I'll bring some Chinese food....LOL...

Originally Posted by 74demon
you shouldnt need to turn new rotors, especially OE rotors. (cheap china garbage...maybe). some OE rotors are even coated to prevent rust and help the pads seat correctly.

if you want to make a trip down to the 951 some weekend, i put on your stuff...for free, and it'll be right. i can do it in less than an hour and save you $100! up to you though....

Quick Reply: eBay brake pads makes grinding noise...beware.