Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dubai......

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dubai......

has anyone heard of that hotel in Dubai or seen the show on National Geo?! i was watching it lastnight about the "palm islands" that they built, the "world islands", and the 7 star hotel "Burj Al Arab". that is some insane stuff! they said they built the "palm islands" and "world islands" b/c right now, oil is their main thing, and they know that it WILL run out eventually. so they are trying to build up the whole tourist thing over there to bring in more money. the hotel, you MUST check out! for ONE NIGHT IT COSTS $5,000 and that is for a bottom of the line, nothing TOO fancy room!

here's the hotel page http://www.burj-al-arab.com/

i'll just stop explaining and show some pics......

Name:  463684757_4d95b47b7f.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  palmmain2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  125.0 KB
Name:  19.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dubai......

those oil hording bastards have more money than they know what to do with....that been goin on for some time now...saw that a 1yr or so ago.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 PM

this is like 2005 news. well, not really but you know what i mean.
dubai has many of the worlds craziest man made cities.
they are blowing up like nitro.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:54 PM

im well aware its old news. but i just saw a show about it last night (Re-runs) and thought i'd post it up....b/c its wild as HELL if you've ever seen the inside of the hotel, or what they ACTUALLY did w/ the "world islands".

Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I saw part of the one where they were talking about the world and the Ireland island. I have been interested in watching those episodes since they showed the first one when they only had the hotel and the first palm a few years ago. Neat stuff. However, there is a downside to all this, which is the labor force they have there is all imported and they are treated like ****.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:05 PM

hey rrasco, it actually comes on national geo quite a bit, i'd say atleast once a month it seems like. just keep an eye out. its some pretty interesting stuff to see....how they make it and all.

and yeah, those "world islands" are pretty much customized however you'd like! for the amount of money it costs to buy one of those islands.....i'd hope so!

donald trump's son has a place on the "palm islands" aswell as owning one of the "world islands".

Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM

that place is an ecological disaster...

Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 AM

i've been to dubai, on a deployment. it wasn't really that amazing. i think we went to the third largest mall in the world, and there were about five or six of each store, it was neat, but poorly run. plus its still the desert and hot as he!!.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Well I thought everything there was pretty amazing actually. And if it's too hot for you go in their huge ice cold ski resort they built where they keep temps in the entire complex below freezing year round lol. Everything there is like Las Vegas on steroids where money is no object. Like everywhere else it has its good and bad .. it's as close as anywhere in the world has gotten melding east and west (for the rich anyway) but it's difficult to co-exist, outside of touristy resorts, when those cultures are so vastly different from one another (hence the recent news reports of some things happening there that they're trying to keep out of the news) .. regardless, it's still a man-made marvel ... I enjoyed it.

I think my run-on sentences get worse the later it gets.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Retired Moderator

That's impressive...............until mother nature decides to be a b**ch and throw a hurricane their way.

Quick Reply: Dubai......