Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Drinking & riding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drinking & riding...

...So I have a birthday happy hour after work today (rode my bike today from home which is about 35min each way) and I was wondering if you guys EVER drink and ride? Of course, not over the legal limit but maybe 1 drink or even 2. I don't even think I'll have one (I've only been riding 7 months) tonight just for the simple fact that I need to have my complete wits about me when riding. Just wondering...

Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this type of situation, I might have a SINGLE alcoholic beverage, and then switch to soft drinks. And wait at least two hours between drinking and getting on the bike. But you should really ask yourself if it's worth it even to have one drink. Riding a bike takes far more coordination than driving a car, and the consequences of a mistake are potentially much more severe.

At the end of the Experienced Rider Course, the instructor had us try on some beer goggles and attempt to walk on a painted line. I don't know how well the goggles mimic the effects of alcohol, but if they're even close to it, it is truly scary.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM

er...no.

neither go together, and as munson says

the consequences of a mistake are potentially much more severe.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

im with munson. MAY have one social beer, accompanied by food, then probably soda or sweet tea after the beers gone. my uncle walks with a limp since he was young and drunk on a bike, he died 3 or 4 times on the way to the hospital and was very close to slipping away permanently. ill never do it

Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM

I know when I drive I can have 2 or 3 and still be very safe and responsible. When it comes to riding I don't think I feel comfortable even having 1. Maybe with more experience down the road sometime I'll consider have 1 or 2 but right now I'll stick to rootBEER. Stay safe this weekend peeps!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I get drunk with just half beer.. and tippy toes on my bike already so.. I have no choice

Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i'll have one drink, and there have been times where i've had 2, but no more than that. just wait til you get home and go nuts if you want to drink. besides, if you're with work people (don't know for sure, but kind of sounds like it from your post), there's no need to have many drinks anyways.

as i like to say with anything riding related - if you're not 100% comfortable with it, don't do it - whether its riding fast with experienced riders, or have a beer on the way home, or whatever, you need to be okay with doing it.

if you can hold your liquor, id say one beer would definitely be okay especially if you're not finishing it and then walking out the door to get on the bike... but its your life, your choices and your consequences. you need to make those decisions, and if you're worried about it, then don't do it. not having a drink won't kill you

Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree; if I'm anything but clear-headed, I'm not riding.

Quick Reply: Drinking & riding...