Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Draining the Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draining the Tank

Can anyone tell me how I can drain the gas from my F2 tank? I was just going to crankthe starter, and disconnect the supply line, but I forgot and already have the bike disassembled.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Default RE: Draining the Tank

not sure if there is another way or not but when ever i am taking the tank off for any thing i just grab the siphon and drain it back in to a gas can.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Isn't the petCOCK still on it? Just turn the **** to 'on' and let it drain out the ****. Then turn it to reserve and do the same thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Ride it till it runs out.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Isn't the petCOCK still on it? Just turn the **** to 'on' and let it drain out the ****. Then turn it to reserve and do the same thing.
Won't work. There is an auto fuel vacuum tube which (I think) needs to supply pressure (I would assume negative pressure) on the tank to release the fuel through the supply line. I know this because I once forgot to connect this vacuum line when mounting the tank, and the bike wouldn't start because it wasn't getting fuel. Also, at one time, the vacuum was connected and the supplycame disconnected. When I cranked the starter, fuel came out through the supply line. That'sallI know. I tried to blowair inthe supply line to see if it needs positive pressure to drain, but the fuel cap is gone, so It wasn't sealed well. I tried to use a vacuum too, but it just seemed to suck fuel.

Scott, I can't run the bike at all, It's no longer a complete bike.

Is my only option a siphon? I was trying to avoid buying one.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: madgreek
You don't need to buy a syphon. You just need some rubber tubing and a mouth. Immerse the tube to the bottom of the tank, suck on the tube, and drain to a gas can on the ground. Yes, you may drink alittle gas, but everyone has to try it once. Make sure your receiver is below the lowest part of the tank, or it won't work.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: EHonda

ORIGINAL: madgreek
You don't need to buy a syphon. You just need some rubber tubing and a mouth. Immerse the tube to the bottom of the tank, suck on the tube, and drain to a gas can on the ground. Yes, you may drink alittle gas, but everyone has to try it once. Make sure your receiver is below the lowest part of the tank, or it won't work.
Thanks, but I want totry to avoid this if possible. I've seen it done, but have never actually done it. Is there a certain diameter tube that's best for this (maybe something in the 1/2" to 3/4" range)?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Any size diameter should work. If you want to avoid mouth-pipetting, there are a couple of tricks. Basically, the science is that you want to fill the tube up with gasoline, so the syphoning action works. You can do this by plugging one end with a thumb and filling the tube with gas. Or, depending how much gas you have, you can immerse the entire tube in your tank, working out the air bubbles, then pull one end out and drain. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duck tape the vacuum hose to a vacuum cleaner and have the supply line going to a gas tank.

Beyond that use a syphon:
[ol][*]Get a good length of hose (with one end in the tank, the other end must extend below the lowest point of the gas tank)[*]Make sure the hose is primed (fill the hose with gas, place finger on one end to keep fluid in the hose. Place other end in tank, lower the end you are holding down below the level of gas in the tank and remove finger. If you fail ot prime the hose, you will have to suck the gas out till it starts flowing. (Note, gas tastes horrible. You will get a tingling/burning on your lips. DO NOT ingest!!! Very hazardous to your health and NOT recommended).[*]Gas will continue flowing as long as the one end remains submerged in the liquid and the opening of the other end extends below the level of fluid in the tank. Something about Bernoulli's Principle probably applies here...but that's beyond my knowledge.
[/ol]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphon

Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 AM

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=41567

that site has every service manual known to man...almost. should help ya out

Quick Reply: Draining the Tank