Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dog vs Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dog vs Coyote

That's crazy! glad you and your dog are fine. The other night on the shop "Monster Quest" They had an EP about the strange wild dogs that people hear and see in MA and MN.

Sounds like your dog got into more then he wanted.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Good to hear everything turned out fine. I see a few coyotes around my parents place in Mukilteo now and then. They are all scrawny little things. But Im sure they are still dangerous to a dog.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

Dogs chasin yotes are is no joke. The issue isn't whether the dog can handle the coyote----i can't tell you how many people i know from KY and southern OH that have lost their pets to coyotes. The coyotes will regularly send one of them up to the house, to draw the dog out into the woods---where the entire pack will destroy it. Just a heads up for ya.

-Adam
they generally travel in packs...thats when you have to watch out for them, if they are alone there more scared then you are.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM

I'm with Isolated on this one. Around my parts of Wisconsin theres coyotes everywhere and its not uncommon for one to draw a dog out where the pack will tear them to pieces. I have a couple friends that have walked into the woods and find parts of their dog all over the place. Usually after that they shoot every coyote they see. Can't say I blame them.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

This is T.J

As I mentioned in the story, he has never shown any signs of aggression or behavior like this before. Not sure what got into him. He is walking around like an old dog this morning, pretty funny.
I am pretty confident he could handle himself against one coyote, but if he ran into a pack it would defenitly be a different story.

No signs of bites, just a few scratches here and there.

Name:  000_0176.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  14.3 KB

Name:  000_0267.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM

His instincts took ahold of him when he saw/smelled that coyote, and no level of training and probably not an invisible fence could have stopped him. Hemost likelysaw the coyote as a threat. The other option is the coyote was in heat. But whena dog's instincts kick in there's nothing else that they think about. I had a golden retriever growing up...extremely non aggresive and very well trained. I even won the state fair in 4-H with him one year, and always won the county fair. When there was a deer to chase sometimes I could get him to come back to me, sometimes it took awhile to get him back. But one day we were walking down to the river and I saw this groundhog sitting at the edge of the field only about 15 feet away. It's hard to get within 100 yards of one of these animals sometimes, so I knew something was up especially when I could see the groundhog shaking and it didn't seem to notice us. As soon as my dog saw it, I saw a change in him that I'd never seen before, or after this. His lips curled, the hair on his back stood up. I yelled for him to stay with me but he didn't even act like he heard me. He got behind it and picked it up by it's neck and gave it two violent shakes, killing it. Then he put it back down and walked back to me noteven bothering to sniff it, which was also weird for him. I don't know if he new it was sick and had to be killed, or if he was protecting me, but I was amazed at how he acted.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM

Yeah I had a blood hound and when he would get the scent of anything when I would take him out he was gone instantly. Not that he was not well trained just his sense of smell over powered anything I would tell him.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^ Bloodhounds have it in their DNA to get a sent and go. Certain breeds are that way. I want a Basset Hound, and they are a close cousin to the Bloodhound. It is recommended that you have a fence if you own one. They have a hard time going against their natural purpose...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 PM

I guess I am lucky with my Lucy she does not care what is around, she does not chase after anything ? I do not understand ? I have squrels and rabbits all the time at my back door and Lucy could not care less. and at work we hava all kinds of things walking around.

as for your boy keep an eye on him and the scraches so they do not get infected if he got nicked by them it could be bad.