Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dog vs Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog vs Coyote

I live in what is still a pretty rural area North of Seattle. It still has allot of natural large greenbelt areas.

So I let my dog out to do his business. He was going ape sh*t like never before. I went out to see what the problem was and could not see anything. Part of my routine with him is to make him sit at the door before I will let him off of his leash. I do not have a fenced back yard. This is where all hell broke loose.

While trying to get him to pay attention to me, and make him sit for 20-30 seconds at the back door. I disconnected his leash. Usually this is followed by him patiently waiting for the next command to come back in. Instead, he decided to take off into the woods. Next thing I hear is him and a coyote going at it. Coyote's sure have a sickining cry when they are being chased or attacked.

Now my dog has never gone after another dog, nor has he ever shown this type of behavior before. Not sure what got into him.

So this is where my2 hoursof trotting through thicket, under brush, swamp and everything else that comes with the Great NW natural habitat began.Flash light in hand chasing a dog chasing a coyote. Once I found the dog I dropped the flashlight and the bulb broke. Now its me the dog and thankfully the moonlight. Moonlight and sunlight is rare in this area. We have overcast skies over 250 days a year.

Found my way back home through the moon lit sky with dog in hand. I was pretty impressed when he realized that he was stuck and lost. He just stayed in one place howling like a hound dog, responding to my calls.

That was it. It may not seem like much, but this was a pretty scary situation for me.Not sure how many coyotes or how I was going to get my dog back. Just reacted and fed off of adrenaline for a couple hours.

I would have been devistated if I had lost my dog. Thought I would share my experience. After sitting down and writing it, it does not seem that exciting. LOL........

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Default RE: Dog vs Coyote

That would have sucked to loose your dog! I am glad you got your dog home and both of you are safe.

I love my Lucy she is 110lbs of drool and skin (half Shar pei and half St. bernard) she is a very protective dog and very well trained.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Banned

Yeah up untill tonight I thought I had him trained OK. Still working on it. He is just over two years old, and I don't get to work with him as much as I would like to. Its allot more fun to play around then to learn sometimes.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 AM

It will take time to get them where you and they need to be. I work nights for construction co. doing demo and security and I get to bring my dog with me to work every night so I have time to work with her. I the last year she has gotten to the point where she responds to me with out a thought. I love it because it keeps me safe and her safe.

I do not know what I would do with out my girl.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Dogs chasin yotes are is no joke. The issue isn't whether the dog can handle the coyote----i can't tell you how many people i know from KY and southern OH that have lost their pets to coyotes. The coyotes will regularly send one of them up to the house, to draw the dog out into the woods---where the entire pack will destroy it. Just a heads up for ya.

-Adam

Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/stuff023.jpg

OOPS this one should work.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM

check your dog over to make sure he didn't get bitten - not sure if rabies is an issue where you are but when i was growing up there were rabid foxes that would occasionally be hanging out near our area.

you may want to invest in an invisible fence, that would probably stop pooch from running out too far...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM

What kinda dog you have? The yote's we have here in Colo can get pretty damn big, I was always wondering "who would win if..." Kinda like a Lion and a Tiger. I dont think I have ever seen a yote bigger then 70lbs or so, not that they dont exist.For the most part I would think that the larger well fed dog would whoop some ***. Especiallyif it is a prettyagressive100lb dog.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

I'm glad he's ok but you got lucky. I don't ever trust my dog enough to let it off the leash without my hand on it's collar. Obviously, neither should you. As a responsible owner, you should make a point of not letting him free for any period of time in an open area. He doesn't know any better and could get himself hurt and/or killed.

Quick Reply: Dog vs Coyote