Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Does ATGATT sometimes stop you from riding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does ATGATT sometimes stop you from riding?

So... Before I even get going I will say that I am FULLY on board with ATGATT, it is the only way I ride... and that is kind of where my question starts.

This weekend I was heading over to a Father's Day BBQ which was about 5 miles away. It was a beautiful day, perfect for riding (in fact I was a little bummed that I didn't just have the day to myself to ride, it was so nice) Anyway, my natural first thought was "Hey, I'll ride over... it's a great day and showing up on the CBR always leads to good conversations"... but then I started thinking...
  • 10 minute gear up
  • 10 minute ride across town
  • 10 minute gear down, incl shoe change to flip flops. Too hot to just wear the gear around...
  • Enjoy a good BBQ for a couple hours
  • 10 minute gear up
  • 10 minute ride home
  • 10 minute gear down...

Maybe I'm rounding up a little with the gear times, but really like 40 minutes of getting dressed and undressed for 20 mintues of riding...

So after thinking all that... I just wore my shorts and flip flops and took the Audi, which was fine.... but I definitley missed the ride.

So this is less of a question and more just seeing if anyone out there runs into this, where they would love to take the bike on these quick trips here or there, but the thought of getting all geared up stops you. Specially on the warm summer days where wearing the gear OFF the bike isn't really comfortable (or stylish!) haha!

Just to put it out there my gear is:
  • Tour Master Overpants (these are great for being able to wear regular clothes under them, but still not "quick" to get on and off.
  • Fulmer Firetrack II Textile Mesh Jacket
  • Fulmer Cool Textile Gloves
  • Speed and Strength Moment of Truth Riding Shoes.

I'd listen to any comments or suggestions or even letting me know I am crazy and I shouldn't let anything stop me from riding! (maybe I need the kick in the a$$)

It's good to have a place to share thoughts... it's a great group here!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

No

ATGATT or I don't ride. Goretex armoured jacket, Snell rated helmet, Kevlar jeans, calf high riding boots and leather gloves.

I take wets if need be.

Had three major offs in 37 years, all single vehicle accidents and walked away from the lot of them.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM

Right... I hoped I was clear there. I feel the same ATGATT or I don't ride... The question was have you decided to take the car sometimes for a short trip because you didn't feel like putting on all the gear... Even though you'd rather have taken the bike...

I really want to be clear... To avoid being flamed...

I'm not asking if people would ride without their gear... That is not even a consideration for me... Just, does the effort and time of gearing up ever stop you from that short ride you would have taken?

(And I know you weren't flaming me Sebastionbear just making sure my intentions are clear)

Last edited by jmeekman; 06-18-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I did understand your premise and my decision would be - and usually is - longer journeys bike it, short, take the car. As I live about an hour from the city guess what the choice is.

Ride safe

Cheers, SB

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A minor variation on ATGATT (which I fully support): My variation is if where I'm going is all surface streets (relatively low speed) and no freeway, then I'll ditch the armored jeans but wear all other gear. If freeway is involved, then it's everything. The time to in/out of my gear is fairly quick when not dealing with the jeans. And like others, if it's a quickie run up to the..., I may use the car. It is tempting sometimes to cheat on wearing your gear, but that extra 10-20 seconds of gear up time may save weeks of healing. I always consider the previous thought before making the choice between bike or car, sometimes it's bike, sometimes car. I prefer the heavier gear, leather armored jacket with uprated back protector, Snell rated helmet, track style riding boots (not touring) and GP Pro gloves.

Last edited by Incompatible; 06-18-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input Incompatible!

I can agree that it is the pants, or overpants in my case that are the toughest to deal with. They really are great and I love the fact that I can wear them over my work clothes on the days I ride to work, but MAN are they work to get in and out of... (not to mention the awkwardness of taking off my pants at my destination while reassuring everyone around that I am wearing something underneath! )

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Does ATGATT sometimes stop you from riding?
No. I wear a textile jacket, shortie leather gloves and a helmet. Takes about a minute to put it all on.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a trip under ~10 miles, I would bicycle. When you factor in gearing up and gearing down time, it's quicker than a motorbike.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Ill throw jeans on over shorts and sandals in a back pack, jacket helmet 2 min and I'm good to go, get there rip the pants jacket helmet off, change to sandals 2 more minutes and I'm good to go, I keep a bigger pair of jeans available for such occasions so they got room over my shorts for easy on off

Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 PM

For the most part I'm ATGATT but for 5 miles down the road with no freeway? I'll skip the over pants and wear jeans. I probably wouldn't even change into shorts at the destination, but I'd ditch the boots for the flip flops. Takes me longer to warm up the bike then it does to put the gear on in this case.

Quick Reply: Does ATGATT sometimes stop you from riding?