Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you hail fellow riders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, Harley and most often choppers etc never hails. I tend to let
them hail if they want to and I'll hail back, if not well that's alright by me.

Speaking of squids, this is quite telling

Squid
A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to the non-leaners, I turn my head in discus.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So how should CBRF members hail? Let's start our signature salute...next time out.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I always wave or nod to all 'bike' riders, and usually get a response. But mobile stationary motors (Harleys or Yamaharleys) never respond so gave up trying 20 years ago! Lately there has been a shift with a few of the larger scooters venturing into the country and I'm conflicted. My internal response is "get a real bike" but I feel that is a little snobby after being totally humbled through some twisties in Turkey by a guy on a Burgmann 600 scooter a couple of years ago!!

Cheers, SB

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 AM

I usually wave to everyone, and get a wave back most of the time. Even Harleys. Although, as other have mentioned, I usually have to start the wave to get one from a Harley.

Man, Harleys get NO love here. I realize this is a sportbike forum, but geez. No wonder Harleys/ sportbikes are rivals. Seems most everyone has the "rival" mentality. Granted most of it is (hopefully) just having fun.

My dad rides a Street Glide, and my brother just got an Iron 883. After riding each of those, I can see the appeal. Probably because of my riding style, which is go slow and have fun. I'm not really an aggresive rider (although my chicken strips may say differently) so having a comfy bike that still looks cool may be up my alley soon.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by armyjeffries
Man, Harleys get NO love here.

They started it.............

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
They started it.............

Lol, no need for hiding. I'm not a nor do I get my feelings hurt on online forums.

Let's just say I'd rather ride a Harley than a Gixxxxxxxxer!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Usually a nod here in the UK also.

I rode past the olympic torch convoy the other day and even got a bunch from the Bike Cops as they went in the opposite direction.

I'd say maybe 50 or 60% will nod back during the week, but seems to be more on the weekend. I guess those who are only using the bike to commute aren't as bothered.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hail to ALL riders, scooters, bicycles....etc....I even have a special glove just to hail Gloves is black/purple.....with the index & middle finger being Flouresant Yellow....so i have to be careful which finger I give.....usually I give two...backward peace sign.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by newb craig
I rode past the olympic torch convoy the other day and even got a bunch from the Bike Cops as they went in the opposite direction.
Motorcycle cops here in South Australia are - in the most part - friendly enough to nod. Even though during a "first fine day in Spring" operation where they stop all motorcyclists in the Hills for a license/registration check, I had one whippersnapper noob Cop ask me if I was having a mid-life crisis!

I was in full leathers on my TL1000s.

Quick Reply: Do you hail fellow riders?