Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you hail fellow riders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered...around here (in the US) it seems that everybody uses their left hand to acknowledge other riders...so what do riders do in countries where the lanes are switched direction wise? The "inside" hand switches to the throttle/brake and and I assume riders don't let go of the controls on that side.

Is it just a nod?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:14 AM

I wave to everyone, even while cornering somewhat aggressively. I get weird looks for that one when I'm in a right handed lean and they see my left hand go out. I've also had a few guys just raise their fist up above their heads, I do that every now and then too and that sometimes tricks people out, it's pretty funny. One guy I did that to had his hand out before me and I raised my fist and he quickly tried to bring his hand up to match mine haha. But yeah I'd say 90% of the time I get a wave back. Lately it's been the lead rider in a group of cruisers wont wave but almost all the rest will.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, its a Squid vs Rider thing. Same way if I'm riding or driving and see someone stopped it an odd location, I pull over and see if they need help.

I get some seriously strange looks when that happens. But so far I've given directions a handful of times. And a woman on a F3 got my spare master fuse. Her bike had no power at key on and a group of guys standing round scratching their heads. She was back on the road in 5 minutes

Oh yeah, just remembered. Got a mild burn when I stopped to help a guy pick up his wife's Harley. She dropped it on a hill while they were stopped at a light

Last edited by Kuroshio; 06-16-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I wave to everyone as well. If they're on two wheels, we are on the same team against the cars. The harley guys wave back about half of the time, but never initiate it. But, when I'm on the harley, they all wave. It's kinda funny. If they only knew that I ride a sportbike most of the time.... Sportbike guys wave to everyone for the most part, and signal about an upcoming "road" condition, which is good to know about ahead of time.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Yep, here in South Africa the riders usually greet each other with a nod. This generally happens with the sport bike riders. Guys on Harleys and adventure bikes almost never greet.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

I wave anyone who looks like they'll wave back...... well not scooters.

Reminds of a story someone told once...

He rode Harley's for years and was bummed that only Harley's would wave, never the sportbikes. Then later on in life he got into sportbikes and sport tourers and now the same Harley riders stopped waving to him and only the sportbike guys. On a whim he thought it would be cool to try a Buel, best of both worlds. Now he says NO ONE waves to him. He's like IM STILL THE SAME GUY!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

We need a official CBRF wave. See who waves it back, then you'll know its a fellow member....

Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotten plenty of rider salutes while moving and nods at lights here in the US... regardless of what kind of machine. In Korea, we bow since it's more traditional to bow than wave. It kinda has a safety factor since you keep both hands on the bars as well and can give a little salute as you're carving through a corner.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I've always wondered...around here (in the US) it seems that everybody uses their left hand to acknowledge other riders...so what do riders do in countries where the lanes are switched direction wise? The "inside" hand switches to the throttle/brake and and I assume riders don't let go of the controls on that side.

Is it just a nod?
not always but 90% of the time yea. a few wave but its just easier for a little tilt to the right or left i supose it depends on speed ect.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I've also had a few guys just raise their fist up above their heads
Ha! Love the BAMF fist. First time I got one was from another guy riding his dual sport in the winter in sub-zero temps.

I still give Harley guys the "circle below the waist" wave. I bet a few of them have gotten a chuckle from it. Bunch of ball -gazers.

Quick Reply: Do you hail fellow riders?