Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do you do your own auto maintenace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you do your own auto maintenace?

I took my car in for first service...just to get it on record...I usually do the service and the forget about it until close to the next...Figured new car, all is well...NOT!

I decided to change the oil and put in a fumoto valve...and guess what I find? Last week, checked the dipstick...it was overfilled! like 2x the H level on the stick...close to a quart maybe? IDK...

Did the oil change yesterday...and aside from making a mess (first time on this car)...found out that there were 2 crush washers on the drain plug! The never bothered to remove the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously...what do these tech's do? at the very least...if they're too lazy to pry off the first one...why not just suction out from the dip stick? It would get all the oil and crap out...yet they wouldn't have to mess with the plug at all!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you do your own auto maintenace?

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

I took my car in for first service...just to get it on record...I usually do the service and the forget about it until close to the next...Figured new car, all is well...NOT!

I decided to change the oil and put in a fumoto valve...and guess what I find? Last week, checked the dipstick...it was overfilled! like 2x the H level on the stick...close to a quart maybe? IDK...

Did the oil change yesterday...and aside from making a mess (first time on this car)...found out that there were 2 crush washers on the drain plug! The never bothered to remove the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously...what do these tech's do? at the very least...if they're too lazy to pry off the first one...why not just suction out from the dip stick? It would get all the oil and crap out...yet they wouldn't have to mess with the plug at all!
most dealers that i have worked at-run off the good techs,managers are always looking for the cheapest labor-posible!-in hopes to boost thier pay check -the outcome to the customer is usually a situation
like you just went through!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM

i'm am disturbed and sadden at the same time...thought it only happens with motorycle dealers ;-)

Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Shop around just like anything else, there are good shops out there, ya just gotta find em. As a tech i can tell you there are a few places i have worked in the past that i would not take my worst enemy's car to let alone mine or someone i know. Makes me dang glad i can do all my own work on ALL my vehicles.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM

thats why i am glad my dad has been selling parts for the last 20 years. hes got buddies that dont dick us over.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM

does car washing count as maintenance?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM

thats why i am glad my dad has been selling parts for the last 20 years. hes got buddies that dont dick us over.
+1 to that, if I cant do it I have a friend who has a shop. Its all about who you know, its like taking your kid to a babysitter without even knowing the person. Risky.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: FFCBRf4i

[sm=icon_beat.gif]

that doesn't count...but i think mobile detailers are much better than the car spa types...no swirl marks, hand wash, etc...

Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

ORIGINAL: FFCBRf4i

[sm=icon_beat.gif]

that doesn't count...but i think mobile detailers are much better than the car spa types...no swirl marks, hand wash, etc...
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Hey, to-days cars?, I can remember being able to tune me VW Kombi & my girlfriends Corolla, even managed to be able to tune most of my bikes. Now all I seem to be able to do is change the oil, check the tyers. But at least these days I get to keep the skin on my knuckles, & fingers.

Quick Reply: Do you do your own auto maintenace?