Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Do schools kill creativity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do schools kill creativity?

this is a fine example of the closemindedness i am talking about.. how many other countries have a stronger dollar, economy, less murder, and drugs than the US... more than you would think..

for you to say that someone who learns the arts is stupid or "not smart" i just dont understand.. were you bad at drawing/singing..ect?

Kumbaya yourself, dont hate on people who wanta more peaceful world for thier kids... and yours.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

I love hippies.

dont hate on people who wanta more peaceful world for thier kids
The reality is that Man is a warlike creature. Wars are fought for religion, raw materials, and real estate. That will not change. Most of those countries with stronger currencywould not be in existance if it were not for the ability of the U.S. to effectively wage war. Learn history.

Peace comes through strength, if you think about the loss of life from WW1, WW2,Korea, Vietnamversus what has happened in the past 30 years (GW1, GW2, Somalia, Kosovo, Iraq)I think you can honestly say that a world policed by the U.S. is indeed a safer place.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I love hippies.

dont hate on people who wanta more peaceful world for thier kids
The reality is that Man is a warlike creature. Wars are fought for religion, raw materials, and real estate. That will not change. Most of those countries with stronger currencywould not be in existance if it were not for the ability of the U.S. to effectively wage war. Learn history.

Peace comes through strength, if you think about the loss of life from WW1, WW2,Korea, Vietnamversus what has happened in the past 30 years (GW1, GW2, Somalia, Kosovo, Iraq)I think you can honestly say that a world policed by the U.S. is indeed a safer place.
"learn history" umm... i did..

"effectively wage war" <---does that mean spend money our country doesnt have and keep borrowing from China to accomplish nothing more than ousting Saddam? hmmmm..

"i love hippies" <--- no you dont, your being a "dick" calling me a hippy because i dont share your agressivementality on problem solving..

IMO... <----

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shouldn't even of opened my mouth because some people cannot see outside the box.
OMG that comment reminded me of this:

Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Peace does come from strength. Being open minded will only allow you to be peaceful until someone else pushes you too far. Being open minded works until you have lunatics like Hitler and Bin Ladin who don't reason. It doesn't matter how much you want to "communicate" with someone like that...they already have an idea in their heads of what is right and there is no way to change it. People like that require strength to try to keep them in check.

On the subject of creativity, it's not just schools that kill it...it's just life in general. I saw a chart once that showed how much people laugh per day. It was VERY high until around the age of 5 when kids start school. Then it continued to drop until retirement, when it slowly went back up. I think laughing can somehow be linked to creativity. It's the stress of school and then making a living that kills creativity.

But when I have kids, I don't really want to waste their time with nonsense "artistic" classes. If my child has a talent or interest in something like that...then I am all for supporting them outside of school or in extra-curricular activities. But they go to school to learn the things neededto have a normal job like 99% of the polulation. Whoever mentioned the creativity of engineers is right on track. We tend to glamourize those "creative" people that can sing or dance and basically do nothing for society other than entertainment (which I'll admit is important). But our engineers and graphic designers and marketing people who work behind the scenes for products we use every day...I'm just saying creativity is still alive in the business world.

At least we are not like Japan where kids spend many more hours in school...I can't imagine how much that must suck. But stillJapan's creativity is not dead...look at all the technology that comes from there from their engineers.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM

I agree to disagree.

I MAKE MY LIVING DANCING. so Everyone that says that wasting your time with artistic classes are just wrong. Anyone can benefit from taking an artistic class. Just a couple of examples:

OUR ARMED FORCES have:
bands (whitedealershiprice is one of two trumpet players the usairforce has in the sowtheastern region.)
dance groups the air force has the tops in blues dance team for the air force.
Painters. just visit the air force museum in bonaire GA and see all the painrings made by pilots and artists alike.

we all need an outlett for stress, and tension. Arts can give us that and more. So im all for frutty arts classes!!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Banned

no you dont, your being a "dick" calling me a hippy because i dont share your agressivementality on problem solving..
I may be a dick, but when you have the Saudi's selling oil for $104/bbl and it cost them $9 to pump it, don't you think that solving this problem will require either bullets or/and creativeengineering to solve? You don't think that we should bitch slap that entire region?

I guess you don't mind how a third world nation like Saudi Arabia or Iran or even Venezuala is threatening the future of the U.S. All I can say is what would the Romans do? or the Greeks? They would roll through those places, scrape their civilization offtheir boots, and makethat landtheir own. That is creative thinking, not dreaming of it raining gumdrops, rainbows,and chocolate rivers and just hoping my children don't live in poverty and freeze in the winter because it is unpleasant to think about bad things.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We could just lessen our dependency on oil...but that's just crazy talk.

Quick Reply: Do schools kill creativity?