Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

dmv test or msf course

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dmv test or msf course

so since there is always a big debate over dmv test or msf course i wanted to see which everyone took.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Default RE: dmv test or msf course

Since I am a MSF RiderCoach. I would say go with the MSF course. How long have you been riding? Did you just get a permit? Where are you located? I think you will benefit from the course greatly rather than have some knuckle head teach you "HIS" bad habits. That is my own personal opinion though. If you have questions just ask me.

Take care

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM

I think by this pole we are just trying to see what everyone has done. Not a debate which is better. Just what have you done. Granted the msf course is the way to go.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:53 PM

ahhh thanks. ive actually been riding for over a year now im on my 4th bike. started with a f3, then another, next a 96 900rr now im on a 00 929rr which i plan to keep for awhile.

i have my permit and im signed up for the msf coursehere in sacramento. the spots fill up so fast it took me a while to getin.

the reason i posted this is because me and cbr_racin weretalking over the difficulty level of the dmv test ( i say its freakin hard and you need a 250cc or belwo and he said he passed on his 03 954 with a weekend of practice *not saying its not possible just hard to imagine* ) and he thought i should post up to see who has taken what so i did lol

Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Didn't vote cause it might be incorrect. I took the DMV test, then took MSF course as a requirement to get on base. Not baggin anyone or anything at all, but does anyone else find it,,,,,I dunno, odd, that on a sportbike forum, we have a thread on the dificulty ofsimply passing basic requirements to ride?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 PM

i would sugges the MSF course as well, the problem is, i ride home every night from work in the dark and i only HAD my permit, so i just went to take the DMV test asap, and plan on taking the MSF course just to learn more (you can never know enough)...
DMV test was easy for me, i knew the state trooper and i did my figure eights perfect, so he passed me. i would suggest taking the class though, can't hurt you any...

Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 PM

im also curious if in different states the dmv course has different requirements. ive heard in some places its a follow exam like here in cali it says both but ive only been able to find a parking lot exam not a ride test

Old 05-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Last year i went to get my license i failed, retook my permit test and passed i was trying to get into the msf class this year but evey where around me is full for the year so far. So i'm just going to try and go for my license again. I failed on the take off fast and stop fast test second to last part sucked, but i aslo tryed it on the f3 still some what tring to get use to the 900. Minnesota has both open and closed course test.

I would say go for the test and then take the msf course if you can't get in, if you fail you have something setup to get your license still.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 AM

Lol my DMV test was a ride around the block with some stops....I passed with flying colors... I took the first day of MSF which helped a lot but got lost on the second day and was late and didnt get to take the test, but i still learned a lot..

Old 05-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most DMV tests are a freaking joke (in New Mexico anyway). You can be half-drunk and slap the person testing you and still get a drivers/riders license.

I took the RidersEdge MSF class through Harley Davidson (I konw, I konw, but they were awesome instructors.....not your normal HD people) They teach you on Buelll Blasts (ugly as sin, but fun to ride). It's a 5 day course. First 3 days are 3-hours each in the classroom at the dealer. The last two days are 8-hour days each on the range riding the bikes.

You learn so much in that class, and the information and skills learned are invaluable.

I took the advanced MSF course through them a couple weeks ago (with my bike) to brush up on skills and MAN did it help out big time. They point out your bad habits and show you how to correct them. GREAT followup class.

Quick Reply: dmv test or msf course