Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

DMV test

Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMV test

I'm Going to Try to save some money..i made an appointment at DMV for M1 test .. i got a intergrated tail light .. comp license plate .. no mirrors .. should i put everything back to stock .. make it legit ?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Default RE: DMV test

The Mirrors would be a good start.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:05 AM

i would put the mirrors back on atleast

Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM

The other stuff shouldnt matter, but the mirrors are a must.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind that whoever is giving you the test can pass or fail you (if you are on the line) just based on their impression of you. So you don't have to but even a badly positioned licensed plate could set them off on the wrong foot making them ready to deduct as many points as possible.

When I went for my test, the instructor gave me some directions to get to wait at a specific place, in a certain postion, etc... until he was ready to start the test. 10 minutes later when he showed up he said "wow! I've given those same clear instructions over and over and you wouldn't believe the places I find cyclist when I come out here .. positioned the wrong direction, etc.. etc.." and then he half jokingly said "I'm ready to pass you right now just for that." Point is, no reason to start off on the wrong foot with something that can easily be avoided.

p.s. Listen to the instructions carefully, they love it when you actually follow them Good luck!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 PM

yeah just the mirrors should make you legit. My test was soooooo easy, you shouldnt have any problem.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Its pretty hard in TN, when i went there was 4 people who had failed the written part, the riding was kinda hard because it was 15mph, its pretty hard to ride that slow, but the bike should be as stock as possible. I borrowed a friends bike since mine wasn't stock looking at all.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM

i read in the dmv book for the road test in NY you have to have a registered insured street legal bike. mean that things dont have to me stock but must meet all ny safty requirments and laws. im sure some of it is left to the discreation of the test administer though. but in ny you have to have at least one mirror and DOT turn signals.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

here in cali its pretty hard too. well most of the test is easy and could probably be done on any bike but the hard part is when you get to the circle test. you have to make 2 full rotations around the circle and you must at all time stay within the lines and never put your foot down. even a lil bit and its an automatic fail ! i was talking to the head instructor ovr @ a dmv near me and she said she has never seen a sport bike pass that was over a 600cc .. so me and my buddy are gonna take his wifes 250 and go down and see if we can pass

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 PM

Not street legal= automatic fail. don't even try it, you'll waste your time if you can easily re install your mirrrors,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DMV test