Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Disappointment and joy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Disappointment and joy...

Some people I once cared about have disappointed me, greatly ... it's funny, as a child you recover so quickly, children are so resililent, aren't they

However, as an adult these things hit you harder, they mould us and make us somewhat guarded ... divorce, broken friendships, betrayal, loss,
they are all harder to recover from as age advances, assuming we are still human, of course ... and, have not turned to complete stone ..lol

When you are disappointed it is easy to slip into an "All-or-Nothing mode." but, this is a mere mental distortion and you tend to see things in black-or-white ... so, even a small set back can make you feel like a failure.

This is where positive thinking and thought comes into it's own, don't go down the route of "I could have done more" or "I could have done things differently"

but, in reality what happened, happened, and usually for a reason so you learn from it and move on ... the more positive thought approach is "I worked hard and did my best" ... this way, thought by thought, you get your mind back on a positive track

My boss phoned me today, he said it's bank holiday Monday tomorrow and I got the shop covered, the forecast is good and I'll see you on Tuesday ... that call could not have come at a better time

I walked into the garage and pulled the blanket/dust cover off my bike ... sat on her and breathed in that smell of, you know, bikes,
clicked the brake lever a few times and played with the controls....

Tomorrow, assuming the sun is shining as they say it will be, then, I am taking her to a place called World's End, near Llangollen, just me, the bike, and of course, a camera ... I smiled as I realised disappointment had turned back to joy, and renewed hope ... bikes can do this, and, only another biker understands me....

Dammit I so love my bike..........

Does your bike rescue you too?

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 08-29-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike was my greatest escape ever! Even two years since I've been lucky enough to ride I think about it every day. You are 100% right.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Hey Joe, it's nice to see you posting again ... hope things are good for you,

and, yes ... many don't get that it's more than just a hobby, actually, for some of us .. a way of life

Jules

Old 08-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Things aren't too bad. I'm not quite where I want to be yet but I feel like im on the way. Slowly but surely.

Even among those of us that ride I think there is only a percentage that have it like we do. For alot of people they ride because it sounded fun or because it seemed like a good idea at the time. For us it's a disease. Like alcoholism. Whether you can get your fix or not you always want more.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM

You are right, of course, a huge percentage I'm sure treat it just like another hobby ... something beyond the mortgage and humdrum, but ... for others like us it's that way of life ... a freedom that cannot be put into words, sounds and pictures help, but will never convey the feelings we get ... out there, on the open road ... we have to sleep at night and work to pay our bills but, out there on the bike, when we get there, it's like we were never away

Born to ride, yes??

Jules

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Yes for sure! I've already decided with my cousin (who has caught the bug from me even before he's had his first bike) that when we're too old for sportbikes we're getting loaded goldwings and pop up campers and going wherever the **** we want to.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
Yes for sure! I've already decided with my cousin (who has caught the bug from me even before he's had his first bike) that when we're too old for sportbikes we're getting loaded goldwings and pop up campers and going wherever the **** we want to.

That sound great, it's what it's all about ... not if you ride a sport bike or a cruiser style but about being "out there" actually riding and feeling free

I did get out on the bike this morning and I made it all the way to Worlds's End ... well, actually it's only about 40 minutes from me but it's still like being in the middle of nowhere ... I took some pictures and even a video of the small track to World's End ...

I also got some video footage of bikes out on the Horseshoe Pass, roaring up and down ... it was a bank holiday today here in the UK and the bikes were out in big numbers

Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! You know that as well as anyone on here jules. Btw I PM'd you. Don't know if u got it

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same way. About a month ago, I decided that I was going to put in my two week notice about 6 weeks before I left for school so I could spend my days riding. However, about four days later, I crashed and totaled my bike.

Everyone immediately responded with, "Are you selling it?" "What are you going to do now?" And even more hurtful things such as "HA HA, you don't have your bike!" or "You're a retard for crashing" (Might i say, that I just looked away a little too long from the road. Nothing went wrong except for my eyes.)

My bike being my only means of escape on this cruel planet we call Earth, I set out to fix it. I'm still in the process, but just today, a new front wheel, tire, and rotors, came to my door, putting things back in perspective.

I spent almost all the money I had as a working student saved, to buy parts, and I still am. I'm determined to get it rideable by winter. I've bled, cried, and laughed on my bike, I'm not about to give that up for something as trivial as some sly remarks, or a bad accident.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 AM

Damn straight brother. I spend the day drawing an artistic (well kind of :P) rendering of the bike I hope to be building this winter.