Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dirt bike for my daughter? Help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt bike for my daughter? Help...

My daughter is 11 (12 in October)and has been asking for a dirt bike. She has been riding a horse for the last year or so, and her mom is going to sell it and buy her a dirt bike. I don't know **** about dirt bikes, but her mother assumed that since I ride a street bike I would know what to get for her. Anyway, since I have never ridden a dirt bike in my life, I humbley request some input from you dirt guys. I was thinking of getting some no-name Korean dealy or getting something "classic". I don't see any reason to spend a ton of money to find out she is scared of the bike or really isn't interested. Plus, I want to make sure she has all her safety gear, and that stuff isn't free.My daughteris very tall for her age (tallest in her class). I would say she is probably about 5' 4" and was thinking something in the 80/90cc range would be perfect. Anyway, I'll let the pros take over...thanks in advance you guys!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Default RE: Dirt bike for my daughter? Help...

a honda 80 would be great...a little powerful for her but she'll grow into it.
i myself am looking for a 125 and that would kick my ***...

gear her out!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Honda 80cc

Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 PM

we gots some honda fans in here...lol

hey, stick with what works

Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An 80cc bigwheel will suit fine.
Good Luck!
RB

Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Honda for sure... I had a Honda XR 80 (four stroke so no mixed gas needed). It was a great bike... held up will to my abuse... I think most 2000 XR80's go for around $1000

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM

I just bought a 97 Kawasaki kx80 and that would be just about perfect. I'd definitely look at the 80cc range, and who made it really doesn't matter. I would skip the koren off-brands. with this Kawasaki I just bought, the engine needs work, so I've been looking into that. Here are a few things that are important to know that I wouldn't have otherwise known through conventional mechanical knowledge.

2 stroke engines need to be rebuilt time to time. They just wear out, it doesn't mean that it was necessarily beat to crap, its simply a fact. If it gets used enough, you will need to replace the piston and possibly work with the cylinder.

The cylinders of all 2 stroke dirt bikes made within the last 20 years have a nikasil chrome plating. When an engine needs rebuilt (which invariably happens) the piston will always get replaced and the cylinder will at least need to be honed, possibly replated which will cost at least $200. A piston only costs like $40 or $50.
SO if you are looking for a bike, ask if its been rebuilt before (if so that shouldn't necessarily dissuade you) but just know that you can expect to get 75-100 hours before a 2 stroke needs to be rebuilt DEPENDING on if its been beat.

I was reading with the koren no-name brands that they don't even spec the end gap of the piston rings in the manufacturing process, what you save in purchase cost you will spend in rebuilding it a lot more often, IF you can even find the parts for them. Not worth it.

Good luck, there's a lot of dirtbike knowledge on this board, I'm sure there's someone with an answer to just about every question you might have.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Yeah any 80cc four stroke would be great for her to start out. It might take her a little bit to get used the clutch but she will learn fast. Stay away from two strokes, way too much hassle andmuch tougher to learn on

Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Everyone says 80cc is the way to go i guess. I was going to say get a DRZ400 and then ride it whenever she isn't. It's street legal so you'll get more use out of it.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM

i used to have a kawi 2 stroke 90cc that thing hauled ***. id say if you get the high cc make sure its a 4 stroke cuz that two stroke could keep up with 250s haah the little kawi that could.i wudnt buy the cheapo gas-gas thoughs.might aswell buy a nice used one off craigs. hard to resell a gas gas for wut you bought it for.

Quick Reply: Dirt bike for my daughter? Help...