Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Different racing classes.... (motoGP etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Different racing classes.... (motoGP etc)

post #2 this forum still sucks...ill shorten what was a long post....can someone explain to me the different classes of racing....i know motogp (rossi, Hayden, Pedrosa), but what one is Ben Spies, Matt Mladin? superbike? what class is Bostrom in? im just like 6 months delving into this and trying to figure it all out.....

Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: The Different racing classes.... (motoGP etc)

same here, i would love to know this...i would really like to get into racing...i have watched a few and know some riders, but i don't know the ins and outs enough to follow it....if someone could "break down the sport" that would be great...like i said already, i love watching, i just don't understand the details of the rankings and whatnot...

i never watched nascar or any type of racing so getting into racing is a whole new thing for me as well...any "experts" out there willing to spread the knowledge...

(how's that for a long post hayden...haha) [:-]

Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM

I know, if I get that ASP 500 error again...arrgh

Motorcycle racing:

Worldwide there are two premier series, MotoGP and World Superbike.

MotoGP is based on machines built specifically by each manufacturer to compete for the championship. Each company, Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, etc, have their own team and are responsible for building the bikes from scratch and racing them at each round of the series. http://www.motogp.com/en/About+MotoGP

World Superbike (SBK) is based on "production" machines, which means each manufacturer has to have at least a certain number of that model available to the public. Each team in the championship, however, modifies and races their own bikes. http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/index.php

In America, the premier series is AMA Superbike. Similar use of production machines (1000cc) run by professional racing teams. They are supported by several other AMA series, including AMA Supersport, which runs the 600cc machines.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 PM

what is below AMA supersport? like is the one any one with a 600cc can race in one level below AMA supersport?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM

In AMA there are open classes I beleive that you can race in but technically you can race in supersport/bike bc there are weekend warriors that race too but the problem is those teams have so much funding its hard to keep up with there bikes/ hardware/an pit crew but try looking on the AMA website for weekend races and events in your area they org is country wide. I would love to race also but I'm afraid of losing my daily maybe by ne t year when they open the new track by my house I'll have second bike.. But as per watching I love it and I may be going to an AMA in virginia in august

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM

WERA is the place to begin. They have novice and expert levels across dozens of motorcycle categories. It used to be, you started out in WERA, moved up to AMA, then finally onto Grand Prix bikes. It's a lot more open these days, with local clubs and what not, but there's definitely a place for you if you want to race and have a little cash.

http://wera.com/default.asp?x=816

Old 07-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was watching the Moto GP, the narrators starting talking about the changes to the 250cc class. looks like they will be going over to 4 strokes pretty soon (600cc limit), so while this may spell the death of a few great two stoke manufacturers, it could start getting interesting because Ducati, BMW!! & even Triumph, have said that they may throw their respective hats into the ring.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 PM

id like to see what triumph has to offer

Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add a little to what Spirit said (Love the Recon Mutt !)What's his name - HARDMUTT ? he he
There are 3 classes of MotoGP bike (currently)
125cc two stroke
250cc two stroke
800cc four stroke
There used to be loads of others, 50cc, 80cc,350cc and 500cc two strokes, all of which are gone, now.

As Pacemaker says, it looks like the 250cc GP class will fall away in 2012, and be replaced by 600cc four stroke & I predict that shortly after that the 125 two stroke will be replaced by a 400cc four stroke setup. It makes no sense to race 2 strokes when nobody can buy them, and four stroke's the way to go when development of two strokes is pointless.

In the World Superbike series, there are THREE classes, although thay aren't all run in every country:
Superbike - up to 1198cc
Superstock - up to 1198cc different rules as to mods, basicly for rookies
Supersport - 600 class. Triumph is currently running a 655 in this class

Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 AM

thank you for the explanation, so it boils down to this...there are basically 4 major classes, 2 american (AMA Superbike 1000cc, and AMA Supersport 600c) and 2 World (MotoGP 800cc and World Superbike 1000cc)

with MotoGP being obviously the most premier and followed.

Quick Reply: The Different racing classes.... (motoGP etc)