Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

dealership haggling question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dealership haggling question

so my g/f had car trouble last summer, sold her car and i let her use my toyota pick-up through last winter and this current (aswell as summer) and told her to just save her money so she can put a large chunk down on whatever she decides to get. i've been riding year 'round (must be love ) while she's been using the pick-up........which doesnt bother me one bit. she's been saving and currently has $10k saved up. she's looking at getting a new G6.

my question is, how do you haggle at a dealership, how do you get where you want w/ the price? my suggestion to her was for us to start going to dealerships and seeing what they can offer, telling them she has $10k to put down, and see what they can do. then to just leave (going there w/ no intent on actually signing any papers). do it a few times here and there. i've seen people in motorcycle dealerships damn near BEG you to stay and give you the shirt off their back if you get a bike from them (since they're off commission). so i assumed just walking out leaving them hanging a couple times will maybe do something.

any advice is greately appreciated.

even if she gets a car, the bike is still my daily driver. something must be wrong w/ me when its below freezing......i walk out the door and have two keys in my hand........and i STILL pick the one that says 'HONDA'!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dealership haggling question

Dont tell them how much money you have just say you have cash.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM

^ thanks Nauree. wasnt sure if we should or not. i mean, telling them we have cash.......just say we have a large amount to put down? i've NEVER bought a new vehicle or even been to a car dealer for that matter. i've only had two cars/trucks (truck i have currently is #2) in my life and both were used. i dont ever care to have a new car/truck.........from now on, its ALL ABOUT BIKES!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM

but i want to say the G6 is in the mid/high $20k's.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Tell her to stop being stupid and buy a Honda Civic. It will last forever.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Actually most dealers dont like *cash* they like to make money off your financing.

Im not saying this is the way to go Jay, but what i did for my truck was shop my a** off. Look online, look at ebay, look at autotrader, look everywhere you can. Find out what the absolute best price you can get for one, even if its in another state. Then go to your local dealer, find the one you want, and tell them what you will pay for it (say take the lowest price you found anywhere and take off another 500 or 1000 dollars). If they give you any guff, tell them well found the same car 30 or 40 whatever miles away, and if you dont like my price i will just go there. Usually they will cave on that one. You may have to go by feel a little bit, but it should give you a great idea what you can get that car for.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 PM

lol Nauree its her money. she didnt tell me what kind of bike to get when i bought the new one, so i let her get what car she wants w/ the money she's worked for. i DID tell her the car WILL BE partly mine...................since i rode to work two winters in below freezing temps so she could be warm and cozy in my truck on her commutes.

TK, thanks for the info! i'll give that a shot and like the two of you said i guess we wont mention cash. i'll have to see what i can find online for prices on the G6 i guess.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Retired Moderator

I would do all your research on the cars she wants so you know what they are going for and what deals are to be had in the area. Car dealerships have to be starving for sales right now so you have the upper hand. Tell them you have money to put down today, and only put like 2 grand down...put the rest in the bank and it can be a slush fund for your payments. That way you have a kick *** buffer in case any emergencies come up.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM

yeah voodoo, but she's saving up so her payments will be lower since she'd be putting so much down. i see the point of your plan though.

and im REALLY hoping since the dealerships are hurting right now, we can get a killer deal.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Retired Moderator

yeah voodoo, but she's saving up so her payments will be lower since she'd be putting so much down. i see the point of your plan though.
May be complete ****e, but I had a dealer tell me that the down payment does not sffect your monthly payment as much as you think. I would PM Hayden or Dluv...they would know fo sho!

Quick Reply: dealership haggling question