Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dealership can kiss my.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership can kiss my.......

So I scheduled an appointment to give my bike some much needed TLC after sitting for 3 yrs. I took it in in its current state, no tail section/seat, no upper or lower and the tank some what secure (screws are in place just not tight). Service manager turns me away even after I give him my permission to just start the damn thing and make sure it runs correctly. 'Sorry sir. I cannot break shop policy.' So I say funk it and I will do it myself. Go to the parts counter buy/order everything I need except for my ramp. No big deal I have a dealer near by and will pick one up from them.

I would have never made the appointment if they would have said 'It has to be able to ride it.' I need a beer and some sleep. Have a good one everyone. I will check back in later today while I am work.

Tires I ordered are Continental Road Attacks by the way.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

lol coulda gone worse... they could have charged u a min. one hour labor just to tell u they couldnt do it haha...

guess look at the bright side doin it urself ur gonna save a couple hundred bucks...

Old 05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shop could've handled the situation better - way better...especially since you scheduled an appointment. By asking a few simple pertinent questions at the time you made the appt, it would've alleviated inconvenience for both of you.

A simple question from the svc mgr of, "what's the condition of the bike, etc?" would have taken care of that. This would've allowed for further discussion on what's expected of both the repair shop & you the customer. Too, especially since a customer has no way to know any &/or all of a shop's "policies" are (I hate hearing this "policy" crap from anyone too. Its a catch-all phrase for poor performance).

Even w/ the situation upon your arrival w/ the bike, a good svc mgr would've worked out a solution that would be acceptible for both the shop & especially you, the customer...that is, if they care about their buisiness & gaining/keeping customers.

For example, he could've written up a statement/disclaimer on your work order for you to sign, saying something to the affect of, "customer understands that no test-ride will be possible & understands that service & repairs will be made w/ that limitation, etc". Ie...something that both of you understand the situation & agree to.

I suppose its just easier for a svc mgr to be lazy & not work w/a customer to help. I don't think the business owner would like this. Nevertheless, that's how it is w/a lot of shops these days. Thus, they loose customers.

My shop actually gives a discount if the customer takes off fairings & plastic to make it easier & quicker for the mechanics/techs to make repairs & service. Then again, they can still test ride the bike after repairs/maintenance b/c the seats/subframes are still on. If there's any hangup whatsoever, the svc mgr discusses the issue w/ the customer & an agreement is made b/f any other work is performed. That way, there's no confusion btwn the shop & customer. This is simply good business & what keeps folks coming back.

Sorry for your experience. We've all been there in some form or another. Try to let it roll off & pick a shop that wants to work w/ you & keep you as a customer.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local honda shop doesnt care if you bring in just the motor and frame to get it tuned up. lol

Thses are the same people that didnt want to carb sync my F2 cause it would be to much work. Although the manager changed their mind.

They should have told you ahead of time that it had to be ridable though. Owell. Youll end up saving some mula to buy some new toy accesories.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM

That sucks, my brother wrenched at a harley dealer for awhile and anything that required rideability or engine work also required a 30mile test ride. I imagine they were probably the same way. But i do agree with gotcbr, could have been handled alot better than it was.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 PM

I couldn't make an appointment for a tune up at a local shop during peak riding season because my 94 F2 was "too old" I had to wait till like the end of August or September or some crap like my money is any different than someone with a newer bike, shops are retarded ( no disrepect to mentally challenged ) learn how to do it yourself is the way to go or have a good friend that knows

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty surprised they did that considering they probably stood to make a hell of a lot of money off of you in parts in labor... lol

Old 05-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it yourself - it's more fun and you KNOW what's been done.
Grab a manual from www.stephygee.com
and have at it.
As has been said, you'll save a bundle of cash, and know more about your bike in the end.

Any service manager who refuses service on the basis of bike age should be fired.
Doesn't he realise that he has a JOB because all these older bikes are still around ?
Idiot IMO
The dealership that's prepared to TRY is the one I will always use.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 PM

Completely agree with you Shadow! If you have decent or better mechanical aptitude, then beg, buy, borrow, or steal an official Honda Shop Manual, and do the work yourself! It is rewarding, challenging, and exciting! Your local Honda dealer then becomes nothing more than a Parts Dep't for you. My '03 RR will be due for a Valve Clearance Adjustment by the end of the riding season, and I will do that myself.
The other part of the equation is that by doing, (or even starting to do) these things yourself, it takes the power out of their hands, and puts it in yours. The more you know about your bike, the better off you are.

Hoosier- not saying you don't know all this already, (Cripes, your post count is rather high up there!), and maybe you just WANTED it DONE instead of having to fu*k with it yourself? But for me, if it's within my realm (and I'm a Toolmaker, so most of it is...) I'd rather do it myself than rely on a 22 year old "Graduate" from MMI, when it's ME that has to ride away on it!

Last edited by Shadowfax; 05-14-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Hoosier- not saying you don't know all this already, (Cripes, your post count is rather high up there!), and maybe you just WANTED it DONE instead of having to fu*k with it yourself? But for me, if it's within my realm (and I'm a Toolmaker, so most of it is...) I'd rather do it myself than rely on a 22 year old "Graduate" from MMI, when it's ME that has to ride away on it!
You are exactly right. Reason being between school, working on my BS in Engineering, and work, I barely have time to wipe my own ***. I take pride in my F2 hands down, you will see why when I am done with it. They are becoming a parts ONLY place for now on. Another site I am a mod on has the downloadable PDF version of the shop manual. I am actually looking forward to tearing into it now. I might PM Hurricane to see if he would mind coming over to give me hand doing this.

Quick Reply: Dealership can kiss my.......