Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Deal, or No Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal, or No Deal?

I'm trying to buy an F4i. The guy wants $4,500 for it. It's an '01 with 5,500 mi., a clear title, and no aftermarket modifications whatsoever. It was dropped once (fell over) and has a few small scratches that he describes as "hardly noticeable". Do you think this is a good deal? I'm tapped out at $4,200 and at the end of negotiations. Did I offer areasonable price? I sure think so. NADA says average retail (dealer prices)on this bike is $4,300. KBB puts it at 4,700. Whaddaya think?

Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Deal, or No Deal?

So what are you are right now???? ALWAYS start low dude. You can go up but cant go back down. And you never pay retail from a private dealer. Go see what the private party price is and tell him about $300-$500 below that and go from there.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

rule of them when selling something always allow for a $500 decrease. so if he is asking $4500 chances are he will take $4k ... you do this so that when people try to talk you down you can lower your "asking" price and still obtain your real "wanted" price . now you get what you wanted and the buyer feels as if they talked you down and got a better deal.

i would tell him you have 4k cash and will come get it now. always remember when making deals with people Cash talks . everyone can make big offers and promises but when someone is holding 4k cash in front of your face is it really worth sqabling over >$500 ?

Old 09-08-2007, 01:25 PM

Hmm maybe it's my area, but that seems a little high for the year and scratches. I agree with the others also, i woulda offered the guy 4000 to start it up.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM

I didnt clarify. I saidI was at the end of negotiations. Of course I started lower. My first offer was at 3,800 (he asked 4,500 originally), second was at 4,000, and third was at 4,200. I can now go no higher. I have reached my limit. I mean, It's a nice bike and all, but how come everyone thinks they're selling the best example of their vehicle. They act like the f_cking thing is made of gold, and completely neglect market value. I even told the guy that he was asking more than NADA value (at a dealer), showed him the website, and he just discounted my research saying that I was pointing out "average retail" and that you would usually expect to pay more than that. WTF does he not understand about the words "average" and "retail"?

This same type of bs has happened to me a few times now. I must be doing something wrong. I probably have to wait till the weather gets cooler to get a good deal. Or hopefully, some of these sellers will contact me after they realize that they can't getthe pricethey wanted.

Also, I can't find a website that shows private party values for bikes.You know of one?

You guys really think 4,200 is high? Damn, around here is doesn't seem that way (even private party). Dealers are asking about 5,500 for 01 F4i's in my areas. I think squids are too stupid to do research, just buy something new looking and shiny, and drive up the market price for us consumers that actually do our research!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

rule of them when selling something always allow for a $500 decrease. so if he is asking $4500 chances are he will take $4k ... you do this so that when people try to talk you down you can lower your "asking" price and still obtain your real "wanted" price . now you get what you wanted and the buyer feels as if they talked you down and got a better deal.

i would tell him you have 4k cash and will come get it now. always remember when making deals with people Cash talks . everyone can make big offers and promises but when someone is holding 4k cash in front of your face is it really worth sqabling over >$500 ?
BTW, I told him at each offer (especially at the 4K one), that I had the cash, and was able to come pick it up now. The guy just said that he is patient to sell at the "right" price. Once again, f_ckin' golden bike. Guy's a tool.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

too bad you live in ohio, i have been tryin to sell my 01 929 for $4500 out here in cali and it is not goin to well.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yo greek i know its hard but you need to stick to what you want. if you offered 3800 and he said no and you offered 4k and he still said no then walk away .. and tell the guy if he wants to sell it for 4k to call you ...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM

There's an '01 here for sale. Has 28k miles and he wants $5k.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Dude, I'm in the middle of a deal and tapped out (don't have any more money) at $4,200. Besides, $5,000 is too much for an '01.

Quick Reply: Deal, or No Deal?