Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Deadlist away back pain....yes I did

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deadlist away back pain....yes I did

I have had some serious back pain, specifically lower back pain. It developed over a year of heavy lifting and work which I was not doing properly. I read up on deadlifting in several magazines and videos online. Here is how I deadlifted away back pain and replaced it with some good old muscle ache.

One palm in, one palm out, shoulder length apart on bar. Get down in squat position. Grab bar with feet same width as hands. Pull bar up with butt from floor to knee level dragging against shins. Try to lock legs out as bar reaches right above the knees and pull with back. Look up and lean back a bit to kind of flex or pump at the top of the rep.

Make sure to go slow and not yank, I work in the high weight/low rep range and get a good, deep burn. My back feels better than ever and I am getting a noticeably wider back and a little wider around the hip/lower back area. Try it, get the movement down and then pack on the weight. Best advice, watch others do it and make sure to DRAG THE BAR ON YOUR SHINS!!!

I completely got rid of squats and only do deadlifts now. So many better leg exercies, but no better full back movements than deadlifting.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM

I have an MRI tomorrow on my lower back. Had one a few years back showing buldging discs and I guess I have degenerative disc disorder. I have pinched nerves all over the place. Ive tried to strengthen my back, with unwanted results. Ill give it another shot once I get my newer results back.

Ill be 26 in less then a month, and I feel like an old ****. Moral of this thread is lift PROPERLY!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Yes properly first, worry about weight second.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 AM

I would also suggest doing some unweighted back extensions to start off with if your looking to improve your lower back. You can build up up a lot of lower back strength by doing those in a short amount of time. As you get better, you can start holding dumbells or plates to make it more challenging. go slow an steady.

it also acts as a great ballancing movement. Most people will work out their abs but not thier lower back. If you work out a body part, you should also work out the opposite pulling muscle. That way, your not going to become unballanced. its more than just looks, if certain parts of your body become stronger while other parts do not, it can cause all sorts of issues. this is especially true for your core muscles like abs and lower back. I can't count how many people I've heard in the gym say they have lower back pain and dont understand why... after all... they dont even workout their back.

But enough of my rambling. Glad to hear you found a way to get rid of your back pain.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 PM

I have a bulging disc also, it causes a lot of problems. I finally found some relief with an inversion table. I hang upside down for about 5 minutes each night b4 bed time and I let my back relax till I feel the vertebrae separating then I tense up to pull them together again. Do that several times while hanging there. It does wonders for the strength and relieves the pressure on the disc......

Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rod38um
I have a bulging disc also, it causes a lot of problems. I finally found some relief with an inversion table. I hang upside down for about 5 minutes each night b4 bed time and I let my back relax till I feel the vertebrae separating then I tense up to pull them together again. Do that several times while hanging there. It does wonders for the strength and relieves the pressure on the disc......
Id LOVE to have an inversion table, I know itd help a bit.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Kmart has one for about $89........its well worth it. It takes up a lot of room to just use 5 minutes a day, but if you have the room, its worth it. It sure does help me.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM

I own a single wide mobile home, space isnt a luxury I have