Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Damn weight sensors!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn weight sensors!

This city is full of those damn weight sensors for the street lights. Almost every time I go riding I hit a stop light that stays red forever! The light will change for the other traffic but never for me!!!! Why don't they just make them more sensitive to motorcycles!!?!? I always end up having to make a right turn and come back. I've tried bouncing my bike, but nothing works. I either have to wait for a car to come up behind me or take the long way around! Anyone have these troubles?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most are magnetic. There's talk that attaching what's called a rare earth magnet to your frame will help the sensor 'see' you. Also some cities actually support riders and take reports of sensors that need adjusting. Some cities, the local law is you can treat the signal as what it is: malfunctioning light. Allowing you to go through them when safe. Check your local laws on that

Some are also motion sensor. So you can always try flapping your arms to trigger them. If you try that, please video it. We need more YouTube fodder

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Maybe this is just my town but since we dont much traffic at lights they have some kind of sound thing so when you honk your horn they will change within 10sec or so and i have tried it in other towns where it works. Try that worst comes to worst you **** someone off by honking 2 or 3 times lol but for real it works

Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 AM

I always hate whenver this happens as well. I usually ended up getting pissed of an just running the red light, after making sure it was clear of course.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

They are NOT weight sensors. there is no such thing as a weight sensor at a traffic light, sorry to burst your bubble

Watch this video and Educate yourself and you will have more Green lights. Green lights for everyone!!!

Also I find that even without the magnet if you just ride directly over the loop in the road *normally its on the left or right side of the lane* and just sit ON the wire it will turn green. But I had the magnet on my last bike and got green lights 80% more often. They cost less then 20bucks online.

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/828731/trigger_green_traffic_lights.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_828731"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/828731/trigger_green_traffic_lights/">Trigger GREEN Traffic Lights!</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">More bloopers are a click away</a></font>

Last edited by RojerLockless; 10-06-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you know, i never noticed that the magnets ever made a difference at all for me. i find that the hovering directly over the line trick works just fine.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
there is no such thing as a weight sensor at a traffic light, sorry to burst your bubble
You're just not old enough to have ever seen one. Back in the "olden days" when I started riding (1971), there were still many intersections in Dallas (and Houston, where my grandparents lived) that still had weight or pressure plate sensors. There was a large metal frame that stretched across the lane (usually as wide as the lane) which held a pressure plate that triggered when you drove over it, based on the weight of the vehicle. On my little Honda 100 and my buddies' similar bikes, there were a lot of intersections that would not trigger, so we would sometimes stop at the intersection, and either stomp on the plates, or actually get off the bike and jump up and down on the plates.

I was passing through a very small town about 2 or 3 years ago in west Texas and they still had one at a red light.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM

hmmm... i'll have to try the magnet trick..b

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Lining up on the wires usually works for me. Roj beat me to the posting of the info on it.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

I usually just take the long way around the lights that give me problems. I am on a motorcycle after all.

Quick Reply: Damn weight sensors!