Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crude Oil prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
we should be happy that it doesnt cost about $50 just to fill up our bikes.

+1 it was nice only seeing the numbers get to around ten bucks and be full.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 PM

I'm going to weigh in on this one with my opinion as well; My standpoint is that, regardless of how fuel efficient cars become, I will most likely never purchase something that is more efficient than what I own, if I do anything, I will make what I own more efficient, if possible, and if it is deemed a cost effective investment on my part. If you aren't into math or reading long-winded posts, then skip to the part that is all caps as it is the most important statement made in my entire post.

I'll start by listing the vehicles I own, how many miles I drive them etc. Note that these numbers are from 2 years ago when I used to drive more, I now live in Brooklyn and use public transportation, so my Explorer only sees miles on the weekends during the winter, where as my motorcycle still sees the same or more miles, I havent finished compiling the data yet, but my PAFE has gone up a bit.

1966 mustang - 302, T-5 trans, 9" rear 3:50 gears LSD. - 18mpg avg
0-3000mi/yr (currently freshining up car, and installing EFI system)
2002 explorer - 4.6L, auto trans, 4x4 LSD rear, Locker front 3:55 gears. 20mpg avg
1000-6000mi/yr (winter and heavy rain only)
2002 F4i - 599ci I-4, 6spd - 40mpg avg (DD)
8000-9000mi/yr
my PAFE (as apposed to CAFE) - 31.125mpg. With the relatively small amount I drive my other vehicles, buying a new car to replace one of them does not make financial sense for several reasons:
1.) the additional insurance cost of a newer vehicle that would accomplish what my current ones do is much higher.
2.) the loan payment is much higher than any potential fuel savings.
3.) in some cases, an equivilent does not exist.
4.) down sizing is not an option for me.

Lets go through this vehicle by vehicle.
My Explorer - as the vehicle is 10years old, insurance costs are quite low, not to mention its high crash test ratings. for a loan payment to make sense, the same car would have to get better than twice the fuel economy for it to make sense to make the purchase. There actually is no newer equivilent to my Explorer, the "new explorer" is a uni-body vehicle with a significantly lower tow rating, and not to mention the fuel economy isn't really that much better. I can't buy a smaller vehicle as this one is my tow/hauling/part slinging etc. vehicle; I suppose I could go to a small truck, but they actually get worse fuel economy and have a somewhat lower tow rating; think Tacoma and Frontier. A full size truck is straight up out of the question.

My Mustang - lets face it, this is a hot rod, only sees ocassional use, and currently is taken apart so I can install EFI, I'm not doing it for the fuel economy gains, I'm doing it for the weather friendly-ness of the install, I hate adjusting my carb for changes in humidity and temperature; as an added bonus I will see better fuel economy, but that really doesnt matter. Insurance on this car is cheap, since its a classic and sees little use. To replace this with a 40k+ new mustang would be a rediculous undertaking, and the fuel economy really wouldnt be all that much better. I guess I could replace it with a miata or something, but I have no desire to drive anything with an I-4 that isnt a motorcycle.

My motorcycle - as this is the vehicle I drive most, I suppose it would be the one that makes sense to replace, but again, the cost of a newer bike is prohibitive, and the newer bikes are pretty much on par as fuel economy is concerned, on top of that they require high test which cost more per gallon, thus effectively lowering thier fuel economy, as far as my wallet is concerned. I can't really downsize my motorcycle, as I drive on the interstate, yeah there are those nuts out there that drive ninja 250's on the highway, but I'm not willing to trade my ability to accelerate and stop quickly for a few extra mpg's, and lets face it, if you ride a ninja 250 hard enough to attempt to keep up with a 600cc i4, it won't get great gas mileage, and the durability will be greatly reduced. the ninja 650r could be acceptable on the highway, but its real world fuel economy isnt much better.

If you do a search on the internet, you will find several studies that proove, no matter what you drive, it is usually cheaper to keep it and repair it then replace it with something newer.

I guess if Toyota makes a Yaris that gets 40+mpg, can tow a trailer, has the capacity to carry several sheets of plywood, has 4 wheel drive or AWD and doesnt make me want to shoot myself every time I drive one then I'll consider it.

It's already been stated, but the best move you can make to reduce fuel costs is to use less fuel, actually why I bought my motorcycle and it paid itself off rather quickly. I ride my motorcycle whenever I can, my last ride of last season was acutally on Christmas eve, thats not typically the case, but I basically stop riding when ground temperatures become prohibitive, and start riding again when ground temperatures allow. I usually have a 4 month average off season, and I'm chomping at the bit the whole time waiting to get back out on two wheels.

Now if all I had was the Explorer and the Mustang, my PAFE would be worse, but would it really make sense to buy something new? no, it still wouldn't, because there is nothing out there with the tow rating and haul rating of my Explorer that gets significantly better fuel economy. Maybe if we had small pickups with Turbo diesels, but even then with the cost of Diesel, it may not make sense to make the purchase due to the cost of fuel vs fuel economy increase comparison. using less fuel is great, but if it costs you more to use less fuel, in the end your check book is drained the same. High test will cost you about 2-4mpg off your fuel economy figure, depending on what you drive; note the better your original fuel economy the higher the effect is.
i.e. - if I get 40mpg and use low test, which is roughly 25 cents cheaper than high test, the equivilent high test burning bike would need to get 43.125mpg.
here is the math - low test (150miles/40mpg)x3.20/gal = $12; high test (150miles/Xmpg)x3.45/gal = $12; solve for X --> 12/3.45 = 150/Xmpg --> Xmpg = 150/(12/3.45) --> Xmpg = 43.125mpg average so to break even a new 600cc bike would need to make 43.125mpg average to match my bikes fuel economy, and be far better to make it a worthy investment.

Now if you've managed to read all of that, here is the most important statement I am going to make, and it has nothing to do with math or cost/benefit ratios.

IF I DON'T LIKE A VEHICLE, IF IT DOESN'T PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE WHILE I DRIVE IT, REGARDLESS OF IT'S FUEL ECONOMY, I WILL NOT BUY IT, I WILL NOT DRIVE IT.

No matter how expensive gasoline becomes, I will not stop driving what I like - if gas becomes $5.00 a gallon, I will drive my motorcycle in the rain more than I currently do (which is quite a bit already). If gas becomes $10.00 a gallon I will probably move closer to work or find a different job that doesnt require me to travel as far, but if gas gets that high in the US there will be larger problems than personal fuel costs such as inflation of service and food costs due to transport costs - think about the truck driving produce across the country from California to Massachusetts, his fuel costs are higher, the toll costs are higher because road maintence cost is higher, thus the food costs are significantly higher.

/end rant

Last edited by SPR-GRN; 02-28-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by SPR-GRN
IF I DON'T LIKE A VEHICLE, IF IT DOESN'T PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE WHILE I DRIVE IT, REGARDLESS OF IT'S FUEL ECONOMY, I WILL NOT BUY IT, I WILL NOT DRIVE IT.
so what would you do if all the oil was gone. no more fuel as we know it.

cant drive any of your vehicles.

i know we are far from that point but some day this will happen. just a thought. lol

Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 AM

I hope im alive to live in the mad max/road warrior days

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 AM

I suppose if we had no more fuel I would ride a mustang instead of driving one :-)

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
Personally I am glad gas is going up - from an environmental standpoint it is the only thing that will get us to consume less and that IS a positive.
gotta look at the positives in every situation and this is def one.

Originally Posted by thrasher572
....rule the world....Buuuuha ha ha. What shall we do tonight Pinky?

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
by the time the oil runs out in all other countries (they all will have cars that run on different source of power). US will have cars that run on gas for about year longer than the rest of the world.

besides all that gas in the US is a lot cheaper than the rest of the world. we should be happy that it doesnt cost about $50 just to fill up our bikes.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPR-GRN
I suppose if we had no more fuel I would ride a mustang instead of driving one :-)
I would probably have a lot more company when I pedal to work in the mornings.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I would probably have a lot more company when I pedal to work in the mornings.
Think how fast you can make it when you have a 4-6 member paceline pulling you everywhere you go.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ko67

If you want to get pissed at somone, get pissed at oil/commodities speculators who are driving the cost of oil and other everyday goods up.
Somebody understands for sure.