Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crash Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash Thread

Summer is coming soon and there will be some newbies out there. I thought it might be a good idea to list all the crashes/accidents you've been in, so that everybody could learn from them. People say that there are two types of riders. Those who have gone down and those that are going to go down. Hopefully, this thread will teach people and prevent them from going down.

My first and only crash/accident I've been in was a low side going through a turn. I've had my bike for just a couple of months. I was new to riding. It was a right turn and I went through that turn going about 30mph or so in a residential area (25mph). I didn't look through the turn and I'm thinking the rear wheel slipped from oil on the ground. Well, I low sided and the bike was going to drag me so I let go of it and I started rolling. As I rolled, I saw sparks coming out from my bike. The sparks were from either the tank or the exhaust, or both. My bike slid and was stopped by a curb. You should have heard the noise it made. It was f'ed up. I had on a jacket and a helmet. Luckily, I came out with only a bruise on the knee. I now wear a full suit all the time though. Stupid mistake that cost me a bit over $300 to fix, and I fixed it myself. My faults were: riding out of my limits, riding is excessive speed, and not looking through the turn to see what was ahead.

Please feel free to list all of your crashes too. The goal of this thread is to help and inform. Here are some guidelines: 1. Low side or high; 2. How long you have been riding at the time of the accident; 3. Explain the crash/accident; 4. What gear you were wearing, if any; 5. Faults that caused it.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Default RE: Crash Thread (Video Updated 4/29)

Good Idea FFCBR,

My first crash was a lowside around a left hander into the side of a mountain embankment.

Riding Experience: 7 months ...with sooo much more to learn(Still a NOOB)

CAUSES: Poor Lines to achieve greater lean angle, RODEOver my ability, Went way tooo Hot into the turn(eccessive speed), Took my eyes off where I wanted to go, and didn't get my ego before riding infront of a buddy with a camera.

RESULT: A VERY PREVENTABLE CRASH, 2k damages, and some minor injuries.

PRECAUTIONS I took: FULL GEAR ALL The time for both Myself and the bike ( Helmet, 1-piece, back brace, gloves, boots)

RESULT for Precaustions: I picked up my bike and rode home.

Ok enough preaching on my part, Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alwzuOgg8Bg#GU5U2spHI_4

Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
VP
Default RE: Crash Thread

I only went down one time ... it was a very similar situation to you FFCBR... riding with some people I didn't know, going around twisties faster and faster then suddenly one of them lowsided and went off the road and I lowsided and went right off with him... fortunately my bike slid in the grass the entire time. I was wearing full gear so I walked away without any damage except for the small section of skin between my gloves and my jacket ( I have since bought longer gloves).

The only thing wrong with the bike was the windscreen flew off and I lost all the screws to it, but that was an easy fix, I rode the bike home after getting it back on the road, found some screws, and was riding again that afternoon.

Let's hope that was the last time!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM

That vid is crazy, crash!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: FFCBRf4i

That vid is crazy, crash!
I watch it time and time again to check myself before I go ride the twisties....lol I can't wait til June when I get to push her on the track!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Well that was the entire reason that I posted the story of swt poet and myself accident
https://cbrforum.com/m_382947/tm.htm

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already gone into detail about my worst stack, so won't go into to much detail again.
I've only ever had what you would would consider two serious accidents & they where two weeks apart. 1st one, I used to commute into the city (Sydney) from way out in the burbs, it was an hour ride through heavy traffic most of the way, I had a mate that I worked with, that lived near me, he rode a Blue Yammie 2 stroke 250, so we rode in together. As you got into Sydney, the traffic used to really slow down, so when you got a chance to go forward, you went for it, anyway, this day I got cut off by this guy pulling into my lane, close call to. So I was pretty pissed off right then, so I move over into the inside lane & start yelling at this guy, really going off, from behind me I hear "Look out" (my friend on the Yammie). So I start to look forward, (to late I'm affraid) & ploughed into the back of a delivery van, double parked. Must have made the guy I was abusing, day. I bet he still talks about that one! Got the bike fixed that week via insurance (not to bad, broken headlight, blinkers & fractured self esteem).
Two weeks later, the day after my 18th birthday, got ran over by a friend, (driving his fathers car) at a 'T' intersection, we where racing by the way, they went in one direction, I went another, see who got there 1st. They went through a stop sign & got to fly through the air, my progress only impeded by the ground & a telegraph pole.

Ooops, almost forgot: No helmet on either occasion (no compulsory law & they we not considered "essential" in those days, although I did have goggles for when it rained). I had gloves & boots & denim Jacket! Had about a years riding experience & it was my 3rd bike.
Morale: They young & inexperienced, ride like dicks.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

This spring, 15 + years street experience. Taking a left, only a 45 degree turn off a county highway so didnt slow much, dude behind me didnt see my arm or blinker and bumped me asi went into the turn. Ya know what, it dont look that bad but its a sickening feeling, and even with good gear on, falling still FN hurts, nuff said.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 PM

ok here i go. it ws last july and i had my bike for only a few months. i had just left work at about 11pm and i was making a soft left turn at about 45 mph which wasn't too fast for this particular turn. anyways my back tire caught some oil on the road as i was leaning and i went down for a 50 ft. rash ride. i didn't have my jacket on and the only thing that saved mr was my backpack. i took some rash on the shoulder and back and was able to ride out the momentum on my backpack. thank god i was wearing it, although a jacket would have been MUCH better. i also fractured my right heel. so i guesswhat i'm trying to say is WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!! you never know when it'll happen and sometimes there's no way to avoid it. even if it's hot it'll be hotter when you're sliding accross pavement on your bare back. anyways, good luck and happy (and safe) riding to us all here's a few pics.

Quick Reply: Crash Thread