Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Crap on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap on the road.

If you get into an accident because of debris or pot holes can you sue the city? I was omw to school this morning and I was taking the backroads. Theres an overpass that goes over the interstate. As I get to the top of the overpass it was like a fing beach. Someone dumped sand everywhere. I think God held me up the whole way through cause I was freaking out. I'll take pictures of it when I get home.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Crap on the road.

well yes and no - you can sue the city, but i think the max you can sue them is for $5,000.. so least say you were injured or killed from that, well you sue the city - then you sue the city sweeper (where was he), you sue the company that dumped the sand (or if it was a port-hole, you sue the construction company)

so pretty much your sueing more then one person to get your money for the accident, it's funny how the city has a cap on being sued.. but whatever, i've bent a rim before and tried to prostest it but they said i didnt have enough evidence.. (on my camaro)

Old 09-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sand? I doubt it. Can't hurt to try I guess. If the road had a hole in it or something else that they were directly responsible for then maybe.

That sand could have come from anywhere.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM

"To fast for conditions" that is what I would get in return for an accident around here.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM

I had a similar situation near where I live in which a broken stormwater drain under the road was causing water and oil to ooze from the surface of the road after rainfalls. After it stopped raining and the roads would dry, there would still be an wet smear, right in the middle of the lane for another day or two. I stopped to check it out once and it was incredibly slick. Happens every time after it rains. I was curious about the same thing and was told that regardless, it is the rider's/driver's responsibility to maintain control of the vehicle regardless of conditions.

Then again, I didn't have a pricey lawyer making calls for me... so who knows?

Sucks, I know, but unless the road caved out from under you into a giant sinkhole and you fell into it, I don't think you'd have much luck suing the city/county. Now if you saw the truck dump sand right in front of you, that would probably be a different story--negligence, perhaps?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM

I hate it when you go into a bend and half way round you notice a patch of loose gravel directly in your path, if your front tyre touches it as you go round it can make the front slide quite a bit and it scares that **** out of you, I hate to think what would happen if you where really going some! - I have had this happen a couple of times and it always makes me nervous for a few miles after.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM

This should just be a reminder to not outride your vision. We are not riding on controlled tracks when we are on the streets. Although we ride racing bikes, we do not need to be proving it where it can get us in trouble. Seen too may accidents this summer. Stay safe out there.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some years ago, this guy out riding in the country, had stack on a bad corner, gravel & road works. Picked himself up, biked damaged but rideable. Went to the town hospital, & they patched him up. They told him because it was a motor vehicle accident, he should report to the local police. So he thinks, ok maybe be best for my insurance claim. He went down later in the day & presented himslef to the local boys in blue. Told them what happened, they said thanks very much, & by the way, were going to have to book you for negligent driving.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Yes and no. Most cities have some type of system in place for claims. One of the disclaimers thay all have is that the problem needs to have been reported and the city has to have had time to fix the problem. This happens every year when the plows start tearing up the road and the cars all get flats or bent rims. Regarding all the sand, if the city knew and they let it sit there, then they could be liable as it would pose a hazard for any motorist going at the posted speed limit.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:05 PM

You want to see crap and bs in the road? Come to Massachusetts, the litter capital of the U.S. Ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Crap on the road.