Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cracked block on work truck? advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked block on work truck? advice

I have a 98 silverado for my work truck, and it had problems heating up and the temp gauge would rise all the way to the top, then it would drop all the way back down, then climb back up to where its supposed to be but it only spits out hot air from the heat vents for a minute then it turns cold again.. I am leaking antifreeze, and I do not know where it is coming from. My temperature continues to fluctuate between normal and hot while I use it but never show signs of over heating? It doesnt seem like anything is mixing in with the oil. I pulled the dipstick and it looks clean. What should I check on this thing to get down to the problem? Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Sounds like your thermostat is on its way out...must be sticking. Check that . Is it leaking from your overflow?
Check around your water pump also for leaks. If it is wet around the water pump there is your problem......I would also change the thermostat at the same time.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
March 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by Freak*06RR
Sounds like your thermostat is on its way out....
i agree start with the thermostat and if it still does it after you change that it is time to move on the the next big thing which is the water pump. it may be possible to have a blown gasket but if there is no signs of antifreeze on the block then that is ruled out.

It is good that your oil is still fine also cause that rules out a blown headgasket which is a major pain.

i think you just have a bad thermostat with a bad gasket causing the leak.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM

^^ Ok thanks alot I am going to check it out when I get home and let you know what I find. I will check where the wet spots are when I get home.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM

One thing not mentioned is a bad freeze plug. Easy fix if you can get to it.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother had a silverado and was having this EXACT same issue. I'll get with him and see what he found.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM

If you have a blown head gasket you would know as soon as you start your car and drove it.... Big white smoke would be very noticable....not the smoke you see when your car is cold in the morning.....it would be 5x worse.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
March 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by DDCavi
One thing not mentioned is a bad freeze plug. Easy fix if you can get to it.
i thought about saying this as an option but you mostly can trace the leak to a freeze plug easily, as well as back to the thermostat housing. i dunno i got the flu and my mechanical thinking is not so hot right now

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by utter05
i thought about saying this as an option but you mostly can trace the leak to a freeze plug easily, as well as back to the thermostat housing. i dunno i got the flu and my mechanical thinking is not so hot right now
I figured I mention it because it doesnt seem like hes even tried to trace it other then looking at the dipstick. More options the better I guess.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
March 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by DDCavi
I figured I mention it because it doesnt seem like hes even tried to trace it other then looking at the dipstick. More options the better I guess.
Im not saying it is a bad option to check, but i do agree that he should get under the hood and take a real good look around and try to trace it down.

Quick Reply: Cracked block on work truck? advice