Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

It cost 10 grand!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It cost 10 grand!

Just got the statement from my "visit" with a hospital in ATL after my crash at Road Atlanta. It cost 10 grand for an x-ray, MRI, and two days laying in a bed and only seeing3 doctors the entire time. Had a broken collarbone and a concussion, they just put me in a sling (that actually wound up doing more harm than good) and made me stay so they could watch me (for the concussion). That doesn't even include the ambulance ride (which was also expensive even though the damn driver got lost!). How the hell does that cost 10 grand??? There were about 12 doctors listed on the misc individual "statements" I've gotten but I only had 3 doctors while there including the one in the ER and I didn't even ever see one of those (ortho). WTF? Do theyjust charge for every doctor that happens to walk down the hall while I was there or what?

I get that running a hospital is expensive, especially with all the malpractice insurance and all that stuff but wtf is with it costing 10 grand for something that minor? If I had known it was going to cost that much I woulda walked outta the ER and drove my damn self back home!

Obviously my insurance paid almost all of it. My total bill out of that 10 grand was only $800 but that doesn't nearly excuse that kind of a rip-off.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: It cost 10 grand!

gotta love insurance my friend sells it for a living and i hear some of the horror stories ... sometimes i feel really bad how much people get ripped off.. makes me think of that movie "patch adams" with robin williams

Old 12-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom broke her ankle, and went to he ER. The hospital takes her insurance, but the doctor, for some reason, didn't (because doctors don't work for the hospital, they work as independent contractors to the hospital). So, my parents ended up with an $800 bill just for a doctor (who was retarded) to say it was broke and to go see a foot doctor..........but to add to his retardedness, he said "sure, you can walk on it." - Dumbass.

Our healthcare system really needs to be overhauled (like, people going to jail for fraud, overcharging, etc.) type of overhaul.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Well, I hope that you don't end up having to pay more yet. After I paid my deductable for my incident (Broke both my arms/disslocated both wrists) I ended up paying an additional...I believe 10% of the primary costs. Not cheap!

And of course, they can't send you one huge bill, there has to be one from every individual doc, and service. You'll be hating your mail box for the next year or more!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 PM

I had a panic attack ( didn't know it then what it was) and my stupid *** went to the er with no insurance last year. Well they did couple of tests and said that my pottasium was kind of low and that's it, I went home. Week later I got a $5000 bill in the mail, I almost had a heart attack, but then changed my mind cause I remembered that I couldn't afford a heart attack. I am still paying for this bs.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM

$10K? - Not bad... - and only $800 out of pocket after insurance... - Just wait for the rest of the bills to finally make their way to you...

Standard child delivery - $1000 out of pocket (Can't remember what was paid, but I think it was about 8-9K) - I work in healthcare - that is going through our great program that requires you to go here for care... (Mind you, I think they do provide excellent care, but if we decided to travel, you can double or triple that number)

2nd born at2 weeks oldhad a round of RSV - that one I do remember - 1 week hospital stay, Respirator, etc. - $24000 - Insurance initially denied because we apparently didn't tell them we had a baby... - I called Insurance as we were admitted and specifically asked if there was anything we needed to do...

How anyone can afford to have a child or get sick in this country without insurance is beyond me.

Watch Sicko - standard Michael Moore left wing liberalism, but he does make some good points and makes you thing that a socialized system may not be as terrible as the Right wing would have you believe.

Stay Healthy!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 PM

I've gotten the individual bills but the hospital sent a statement that combined everything (not as a bill, just to show a total for some reason). Its been a couple months, hopefully all the bills are done coming in

Old 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

I refuse to go to the hospital even with dual coverage. About 4 months ago when I ate it off of my motorcycle, I checked for broken bones that needed to be set. Didnt have any. Thank God. Went to my brothers place (he lives on campus, i live about a block off campus) and had him pull my limbs to put the joints back in place and clean, dress, and bandage the damage.

My cost: 40 dollars at rite aid.

A hospital would have charged me in the thousands with more risk of infection.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM

The medical biz is one big rip off, but we all need it at some point and they know that. $800 form 10K is not to bad.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm not even gonna read the other comments, but yeah, hospital visits are ridiculous. That is precisely why I stole the extra staple gun they had so I can staple my own head shut next time. Screw insurance!

Quick Reply: It cost 10 grand!