Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cornering: car vs. bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cornering: car vs. bike

I would say that I personally can corner faster in my carthen on my bike given the dimensions of the typical lane and street corner raduis'. Although, I've been involved in Solo II and track events with mycivic for years so I know the breaking point of the car better than i do my bike, and the car has a modified suspension thats dailed in for track duty. I guess i feel more comfortable pushing my car than I do the bike.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]The stark reality is that the car is quicker and faster at cornering, this should not detere the biker, as you have the advantage of braking later in he approach and during the corner, and then powering out again, so if both vehicles were to travel the same route, then I would expect the bike to win. Less obsticles to overcome and ease of movement coupled with flat out speed are a combination that no car can ever have.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 PM

a good vid on the subject, Ducati vs Lambo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGZ6rqpm0w

I've always wanted to try driving a car on a track but I don't see how it could be even remotely close to as fun as a bike
When I did the Freddie Spencer school at Miller we were on the West track and their Mustang driving school was on the east track, looked like it would be a good way to kill a day but it doesn't get any better than chasing Fast Freddie Spencer around on 600RRs

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 PM

^^^^^ nice vid.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:45 PM

^^^ Very cool video, and I think that is the answer to the question.
It is pretty damn close, when its all said and done. Also puts
the fun/cost ratio in perspective. A fast bike is moderately attainble,
but a lambo is pretty much out of reach.

Going back to watch that video again.....

Old 02-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

takes less skill to corner a car than it does a bike.

so your typical crappy driver can do pretty good in a car...but your typicall crappy rider will corner like a scud.

i corner faster in my car than my bike...at least 90 degree turns.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: cjp48
The british mag "BIKE" has a comparison between the Yamaha R6 and a Lotus Elise S on a track in the UK. The reason for the match up is that they have the same HP engine.
So you're saying that a Lotus makes the same HP as an R6? I didn't do any "research" on this but damn something doesn't seem right.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:31 PM

i can take corners faster on my bike than my car
Ahh what are you comparing your F4I to?
I guess i feel more comfortable pushing my car than I do the bike.
It's not only about skill but how big are your *****. Trusting your equipment is as just as important as trusting your skill. IMO You can be the best at anything and everything but if you don't think you can do it you won't want to.
takes less skill to corner a car than it does a bike.
I woulndn't say less skill just diferent skills in going fast anyway and taking that car(whatever car)to the limit.Like where there's no body positioning in a car there's no heal/toeing on a bike. Lot's of the same princlables just applied differently.
so your typical crappy driver can do pretty good in a car...but your typicall crappy rider will corner like a scud.
There is no better example of this than ZO6 owners. Vettejockey this doesn't apply to fellow autocrossers.
So you're saying that a Lotus makes the same HP as an R6
Probably an R1 deffinittly not an R6. Yeah I agree with you jjkukla. ALotus Elise makes 180hp (Exige 220hp scharged) so there's something wrong there.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aside from the heel toe thing...i'm talking like...you take a bozo who just got an STI...he/she will be able to corner much faster than someone who just got a bike...
you know what i mean? it's like turning the wheel vs. leaning countersteering, etc...

but when it comes to race driving, autoX, etc...then it becomes different skillz.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM

you take a bozo who just got an STI...he/she will be able to corner much faster than someone who just got a bike...
[sm=youreright.gif]I wasn't looking outside the box. For the most partwhen we all got on a bike for the first timewe looked like a deer learning to walk.

Quick Reply: Cornering: car vs. bike