Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cop gone wild - citizen rights

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cop gone wild - citizen rights

1. Just as in every profession there are good and bad people and employees. This guy should have never been a cop.

2. Never argue with an officer. Save any arguments for the court.

I recently was pulled over for passing on the shoulder, then also cited for no visible inspection.

It was a motorcycle cop.

At first, he was very rude, I guess expecting the worst out of people.

But, I just anwered "yes sir", "no sir"...

I even told him to be careful out there. And hey, I meant it. Since he was on two wheels, I figure we are all brothers.

After he had written me the tickets, he went back in and changed the worst offense, passing on the shoulder, to a warning,
dismissing the ticket.

The no visible inspection was a fix it ticket.

Total cost for doing something stupid and impatient on my part, but being polite and civil with the officer:

$10.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 AM

I admit i hate cops... most of the time, but not always. I understand they are human too but i've had some bad experiences in the past and i'm 100% compliant and polite to them regardless. As i read the script and watched the video in this post, i was astounded at how the cop had THE attitude while he kept accusing the driver of his attitude, even threatened to throw him in jail for no reasonable cause.

Ultimately each citizen has his rights and its very helpful to know them especially when something like this arises. I've noticed that some officers, not all, have power-trip issues and are biased/prejudiced on certain groups or individuals such as bikers or african americans or asias, etc. So in this guy's case, i'm glad the officer was suspended.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 AM

EVERYONE makes bad judgements, it's a matter of learning from them. Yeah, there are bad Cops but a majority of them are there to help us, help keep our communities safe, and so on. I mean, if someone stole your bike or tried to harm your family I bet that "you" wouldn't be saying, "I hate Cops". As another member said, if there's something(s) that you disagree with, talk to your city counsil, contact your State Rep's and see if you can get "your" issue(s) resolved.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 AM

god that was pretty funny...but very stupid. it goes back to the "one mishap can ruin it for the group." you cant hate cops..just because of one badexperience with them guys. i could talk about this for hours, days on end..but its frankly not worth it. never the less, good video!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Mad

ORIGINAL: ExSR20F2

god that was pretty funny...but very stupid. it goes back to the "one mishap can ruin it for the group." you cant hate cops..just because of one badexperience with them guys. i could talk about this for hours, days on end..but its frankly not worth it. never the less, good video!
That's not the question. The question was whether the kid had the right to question the officer. It has nothing to do whether or not the cop is bad or not. The confrontation got heated AFTER the kid start questioning the cop. So the question stands. Do citizens have the right to question cops when they feel the laws are unjust? I think so. The cop has no right to get pissed because a citizen is questioning his rights.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad

ORIGINAL: ExSR20F2

That's not the question. The question was whether the kid had the right to question the officer. It has nothing to do whether or not the cop is bad or not. The confrontation got heated AFTER the kid start questioning the cop. So the question stands. Do citizens have the right to question cops when they feel the laws are unjust? I think so. The cop has no right to get pissed because a citizen is questioning his rights.
What exactly are a given rider's, or in general, just anyone's rights?

Seems to dwindle a bit more each year, day, hour, minute, second.

A policeman in the end is just doing what he was trained to do. He/She usually feels that yes, they are more aware, educated, and just more intelligent than the average schmoe off the street when it comes to trafic laws or other matters of civil unrest.

Doing 42 in a 40 is a form of civil unrest.

Maybe they are, maybe they are not.

The thing is, most cops, unless they are just down to earth, real human beings, are not going to even entertain any ideas about the law that the average citizen may have in a given situation.

They are the PROFESSIONALS.

Right or wrong, most of the time it boilsdown to a personal mentailty...they take any discrepanicies as a personal affront.

I'm talking about even if said citizen speaks to the officer in the kindest, most gentlest voice imaginable...there are a lot of cops who still won't listen.

There will be no exchange of ideas.

Only a City ordinace or code that the officer feels you have violated.

The judge and/or jury decides upon the final interpretation.

That's why there is a thing called court.

When I ride to work, whereever and see a cop hiding behind some bush, trying his damndest to find a good case, or most of the time, as one buddy of mine who incidentally, is a local county sheriff, a case that "generates revenue, fills his quota book, and makes eveyone happpy", he can present to a judge, grand jury, et.al.

I still advise NEVER ARGUE AT THE POINT OF CONTACT, AND/OR ISSUANCE OF A CITATION.

Just smile, be courteous, then later when you have a cool head...decide what or what not to do.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM

And yes, there are quotas. Some commanders, chiefs, sargeants, departments, might not particpate all the time, or at all.

But, it's there.

ALSO, "PROFILING" does go on. Meaning...so many cars ticketed, bikes, trucks, etc.

Yes, the majority of everyday visible law enforcement actions are based solely to produce extra revenue.

For what, I don't know.