Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Considering moving to Orlando

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering moving to Orlando

Hey guys I am considering moving to Orlando next year with my girlfriend. I only plan on living there for a year, and I have some questions.

School: Does anyone here attend/have attended Valencia Community College? If so how do/did you like it? Is it a decent school? Im currently attending Lansing Community College, so im assuming its probably pretty similar.

Housing: Anyone have input on the apartments in the area? Id like to pay in the area of $600 for a one bedroom. Car-port would be nice to keep my bike in.

Work:I will be able to transfer from my second job at Target to another Target down there, but I would be leaving behind my desk job. How is the job market in the area if I decide I want another job? I have alot of professional office experience working for an environmental consulting firm and I have a great deal of electronic retail sales and supervisory experience, so im assuming there will be jobs in both of these sectors. This isnt a huge deal, but it would be nice to know. Does anyone work/has work(ed) at any of the major tourist attractions (Disney World, Universal Studios, etc.)? I think this would be kind of an interesting change of pace and a cool experience to do for a year just to say I did it.

Any input would be really appreciated. I know ive kinda asked a lot, but I live in Michigan, so its hard to really know get a feel for these things, especially when looking for an apartment. Its one thing to look on the apartment finding websites, but its alot better to get some real-world feedback.

Thanks I really appreciate it
-Phill

Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM

To clarify I am referring to Orlando, Florida, not any of the other Orlandos that may be in other states.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Seems like a lot to do for out of state tuition at a community college to me?

Can't completely speak to the Orlando job market, but tourism seems ok down here. If you're working in that sector should be ok.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Never attended - no idea - but I sorta second Elf's opinion - would you want to transfer for a comm college?

They exist for that price range...but you're pushing ghetto. For that price range you're either renting a room somewhere in someones house or living with less than savory characters.

As far as job market - sucks. I've had several buddies out of work and they can't find anything. Keep your job if you transfer - don't give up a sure thing.

Tourists? Oh lord..good luck. I guess for the sake of doing it sure go ahead...but its hell. I've lived here for about 6 years and in my opinion Disney is like a strip club....there are a ton of people working there that are 'saving money' for something else and started it and in the blink of an eye are working there forever.

In general tourists are irritating and aren't really interested in anything besides trying to capture what is on a postcard. They're rude and you just sorta want to punch them in the head. When you drive you'd better be praying - because they have NO idea where they are going and will cross 4 lanes of traffic at 60 or 20 mph (whichever you shouldn't do) and run you off the road.

I'd be happy to help you with anything else, I relocated here for school years ago and sorta just made a life for myself afterward.

Edit: Hmm...am I really that bitter when it comes to tourists? Maybe I'm just getting old

Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Hahaha...no, you've just obviously been in Florida for a while now. Old people and tourists, man, they make driving and life so much fun here.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Can't be worse then owning a bike in Houston, 4th most populated city in America... and the drivers here are crazy. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my bike sooner rather then later.. Maybe I'll get a Can-am Spider those things look cool :P

on a side note why move to a place for just 1 year? I dont even wanna move across the street into a new apartment if im only going to be there for a year so I got a house lol

Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Hey what's going on!

I am currently attending Valencia Community College East Campus. This is my second and last year there. I like it, like every college/university, there are the great amazing teachers and the horrible don't care about students teachers. I live in Altamonte Springs which is like 30-45 minutes away from VCC and I don't mind the long commute to go to classes. I would recommend VCC to anybody, I will be going to either UCF or Stetson next year.

As apartments, just like it was said above, they're very expensive. For $600 a month you really are pushing towards renting a room in somebody else's house. With more like $900-1,300 in rent would be about right.

As for possible job opportunities, it is very rough. I have been looking for another job since May and still haven't been able to find a job in the area I'm looking for.
Getting a job in Universal, Disney, Sea World won't be getting you very high wages. I would stick with a sure job, and if you decide to make the move down here, a transfer to another Target here sounds the best, as there are plenty of Targets here to choose from

Tourists in my mind aren't that bad. I have lived here since I was 6 and am now 19. You will really only see tourism in the kissimmee areas.

Also, traffic here is getting worse. With over 400 new families coming in each week or two weeks--forgot which, it is becoming very populated. Florida has now surpassed New York in population. And as in many states, people are reckless drivers. But imo, drivers here in Orlando surpass recklessness. If you think people don't respect motorcycles in your states, here in Florida, they don't even respect SUV's, 18-wheelers, and motorcycles to the least.
Driving here is definitely something else. Crime has risen also. This isn't something to deter anybody from thinking about moving here, but just to have into consideration. Of course, with defensive driving, whether it be in a car or motorcycle, helps TREMENDOUSLY to stay safe. I have not been in any accidents, but too many close calls.

Oh yea, and there's A TON of construction in Orlando....

But overall I love it here in Orlando. Even though I wouldn't mind moving back to California as I go every year for a few weeks.
Orlando is a very fun city, plenty to do, you will never be left with nothing to do. Sooooo many bikers here, you will feel at home. Plenty of bike nights and meets here. I currently don't have a bike(sold my f4i a few months back) but will be looking soon to buy another in February!!

Goodluck in your decision, you will love it here and you won't regret the experience, Orlando is a new world and is constantly changing. Hit me up when you get down here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me anything.

walter..

Last edited by zoomin6; 10-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey zoom... I went to Stetson!

Anyhow... Orlando's ok.. I mean.. eh, its all about where you're coming from I suppose. I grew up in SW florida so to me its too far from the beach here but coming from Michigan you just might like it!! lol

I've known a few people who worked at the theme parks; event coordinators, stilt walkers, etc. It's weird but most of the people I know who worked there have had kind of specialized job skills, so that's something to consider. With the economy the way it is I'm not sure how much there is in the way of the more menial jobs but if you go to all the parks I'm sure you can find something.

I have some friends at Valencia and they seem to like it a lot, plus you're so close to UCF and with the new stadium football games are awesome! The coeds down here are great! I can't speak to the school itself but just like any other school I'm sure you can get as much out of it as you want to.

I dunno what these guys are talking about with rent... I'm halfway between UCF and downtown (about 10 min from each without rush hour) and I pay about 625 a month for a good-sized 1-br overlooking the pool. My place isn't ridiculous, but its pretty good for a 25-year-old bachelor and the money's right. I could give you the names of a couple of apartment complexes that I've looked at recently that have places right in the 600-650 price range. If you look, you can find some good deals and right now a lot of them have pretty good move-in deals! (If you're willing to go for a bigger-sized studio you can prob get $525-575 a month)

As for tourists... yea there's a fair amount of them to the south and west side of town by universal, disney, millenia, etc but downtown and out towards the UCF area isn't really tourist-ey. What you should be really worried about is the old people... granted it's much worse on the gulf down by Punta Gorda, Fort Myers, and Naples. There's a few fun places to go ride out in central florida in the Ocala National Forest and down south of Lakeland in the boonies that I've found with friends. Nothing crazy... it is florida after all and florida is flat... but there's a couple twisty sections around some lakes and some good runs through the forests. Better than nothing!!

If you need any other info, don't hesitate to ask!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the input! Sorry it took so long for me to respond to you guys its been a busy month! My girlfriend was really the one that wanted to post somethin up here lol shes happy for the input as well. Weve still got alot of planning to do and stuff were going to go down there this winter to check out some places in the area. Thanks again

Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM

just drive down I4 at 4:00 pm then make up your mind. To me orlando is like the plague. ill take swine flew over goin there, JMO hehe

Quick Reply: Considering moving to Orlando