Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

computer troubles. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer troubles. Help please

same system ive been running for about a year. with no major prolems. everything is still working fine except for when i put in a CD to install a game the whole computer freezes and i have to restart, have tried two different games, same thing on install. Could this be a bad DVDrom?ive tried installing to all three HDD and it freezes the same. formatted and reinstalled windows, same thing. all drivers are up to date along with BIOS flashes. it started when i would put in the BF2 disk, then i uninstalled BF2 and tried to reinstall it and then this. Any help guys? also reduced all clock speeds to stock. Another thing, if i download something and install it, the install goes smoothly and works just fine.

Nvidia 680i mobo
7950gt
e6600
OCZ 800mhz 2x 1gb
good PSU
two SATA HDD and one UATA HDD
Mad Dog dvd burner

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: computer troubles. Help please

The next thing I would try is to swap a DVD drive and see what happens. It could be a drive, cable or the optical drive I/O channel, but a format/restore would eliminate that.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 PM

Attempting to play DVD has the same result, freezes up completely have to press the button to restart the computer. A music cd works just fine though. however if i try to install a game that is loaded off of cds, such as BF2 or GTA, it will freeze.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 AM

I was a 680i owner till the ram slots stopped getting power. Way better oc'er than my now 780i board. I didnt even have to fart with the voltage to reach 3.6ghz on my Q6600.

I read several times that the newer bios for the 680i arnt good. I'm pretty sure I had the old bios on mine. People were claiming they were having a harder time oc'ing and some other things.

My 680i lasted about a year till it died.

Google HWmonitor and download it. Very small program that'll show all voltages, temps for everything, and fan speeds. Check your North/south bridge temps and see if any of the voltages are fluctuating or lower than suppose to be.

When ever you're gonna get rid of your 680i pm me.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 AM

My 780i is crapping (RMA'ing) out on me so I'm gonna spend some more money and get some independent heatsinks for each motherboard chip.

South bridge - Thermalright HR-05

North bridge - May actually be able to fit one of my 8800GT aftermarket heatsinks on it and still have room for my GTX 280. LOL Now that would cool things down. If not I can fit the Thermalright north bridge heatsink that the heatpipes go straight up or I may water block the north bridge and mofset but not sure if I want more 1/2" tubing in my case.

Mofest (left of cpu holder) - Thermalright HR-09 type 4 mosfet cooler

Sucks spending hundreds of dollars on a mobo and the companies gip on cooling.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM

trying to remember how to take a screen shot but cant..... will keep trying but

I downloaded that monitor and i actually like it a lot! All the temps are good and all the voltages to my knowledge are good.

Ranger, i had a lot of trouble with the memory slots on the 680i, went through six boards actually till i got one that had the proper memory voltage regulator settings or wtf ever it was(gotta love a good warranty). now i can oc memory and the e6600 without any trouble. was running over 1100 on the mem and the cpu at 3.4-3.5 all the time with good low temps at full load. Ill let you know if i ever decide to sell it, but i will probably just run it till it dies or is so outdated that i cant help but upgrade.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 AM

i would hit up the water cooling but split the north and south bridge from 1/2 inch to 1/4 to each and bring them back together after wards, it will have plenty of cooling and save space and headache that the 1/2 will cause. I would also suggest with cpu, board and gpu all water cooled to have a kick *** rad or have two separate loops. i would say go for all of it on two sepearate loops, cpu and gpu/s on one loop and everything else on another, makes for some great oc potential. just need a lot of room in your case lol

why do people like us always have to be pushing **** to go beyond what it was originally produced to do? it causes so much headache in life.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 AM

I left my ram at 1066 synced and used what ever ratio to keep it at that. The 680i have a rep with the ram voltage switches (2 above slot i think) going out. Id set my 1066 timing to 5-5-5-15 and if i dropped them to 800mhz id set them to 4-4-4-12.

Every cpu and mobo oc's differently. Ive seen people hit 3.8ghz and more on their Q6600's with the 780i but i cant even make 3.6 a 100% stable. I still have the othe Q6600 i had in my 680i board that hit 3.6ghz with stock voltage. I'll try that one when i get another 780i.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM

3.6 is not bad, i would be happy with that, the most i ever squeezed out of my 680i and e6600 water cooled with the voltage up was a little over 3.9 if i remember right. the 55515 timing on the 800mhz mem let me over clock to around 1100, i think that was a long time ago, not quite all the way there though. you use mem test at all? its a good program for testing the stability of your mem oc. If i had 1066 ram i would probably just leave it where it is. that is more than enough. But anyway, I WANT BF2/2142 back!

think it is the dvd drive?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 AM

go to device manager and see if anything has a signal by it.

Then right click my computer. Click manage. Click the + next to something viewer. There should be 4 things there. You want to click on hardware one and program one. If there is a red circle X then thats usually what caused the problem. Also look for yellow ! marks. Those arnt always bad.

Quick Reply: computer troubles. Help please