Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

computer hell...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer hell...

So I have not been able to access the internet from my PC for the last two days. I was on the phonewith Dell's tech support, and Qwest's (our net provider)techsupport for literally hours (they were no help...hard for me to understand the India dialect), as well as trying to solve the problem myself...me no is smarty for computerers. Turns out that Mcafee, ouranti-virus program, decided to lock my whole ****tin' computer down! I got rid of those sons-a-bitchesand dowloaded "Avast" which is free and I understand is pretty good. Beware Mcafee my friends. What else is coolabout having "Avast" as my anti-virus/spyware provider is that itmakes me feel like a pirate. Walk the plank bitches...

Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Default RE: computer hell...

yeah, ive tried McAfee once or twice, since its provided free by my ISP, but I always go back to Norton. McAfee is more of a hog than Norton and flakes out.

Another good freebie is AVP.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:37 AM

I've been using Norton for years and I've never had a problem. I've never used McAffee. As far as free antivirus goes, how good can free software be? I've heard good things about NOD32 which is an AntiVirus you have to pay for. Its not that well known but I hear it works really well.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Mad

I use nod32 on all my workstations at home and think it is the best one so far. I use clam av on all my home sun/pc servers and have never had a problem. Clam AV has caught all the viruses on my mail server. I've used McAfee and Norton and can't stand them. They're both hogs IMO.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I saw the light, back when I worked with Windows......I found that ZoneAlarm was an INCREDIBLE security suite. It did take a lot of system resources though, but the protection it offered was great. But now that I have walked towards the light to the "other" type of computer out there, *cough*mac*cough*cough* , I can honestly say, not one virus, spyware or adware, and there is NO additional software loaded on mine.

Good luck with your Piece of Crap man.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Try Antivir Gaurd it is really awseme

Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 AM

it starts and ends with AVG a previous poster that said avp i think meant AVG. its free and the best frreware out there, free and better than norton, quick easy and thorough. did i mention free? ask any computer wizz about it. most will swear by it. and doesnt take much up of system resources.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
VP

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Before I saw the light, back when I worked with Windows......I found that ZoneAlarm was an INCREDIBLE security suite. It did take a lot of system resources though, but the protection it offered was great. But now that I have walked towards the light to the "other" type of computer out there, *cough*mac*cough*cough* , I can honestly say, not one virus, spyware or adware, and there is NO additional software loaded on mine.

Boo this man! BOOOO!!!

Actually Zone Alarm is incredible...Iuse the free version and its awesome.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

only cuz writing viruses for mac is a lot harder then a pc(like everything else). plus pc is more popular thus more ppl able to write viuses. there are websites where u can download viruses(there not active so there safe)

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

it starts and ends with AVG a previous poster that said avp i think meant AVG. its free and the best frreware out there, free and better than norton, quick easy and thorough. did i mention free? ask any computer wizz about it. most will swear by it. and doesnt take much up of system resources.
yes get avg free as a anti viruse and zonealarm for the firewall. thoes 2 are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. i install them on all pcs that i sell and i fix for ppl. they get no probles after that.

how did u figure it out??? do u only have one pc? if u had 2 then u could see if the other one had internet then u know its not your isp or modem. then to check if its a program on your pc just do a safe start. easyyyy.

but anyways its not the programs its the users

i had a huge problem too 2 days ago. i could not acces a lot of websites. this site i could. weirdist **** i have ever seen. i did not know if it was me or my isp. it worked it self out but i dont know how.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM

It took hackers all of 3 or 4 days to hack the iPhone and write viruses for it. Its not that Macs are harder to write viruses for, its that nobody bothers. Apple has such a small market share that writing viruses for them isn't as effecient as writing viruses for PCs. Once Macs become more mainstream, they will be attacked more as well.

Quick Reply: computer hell...