Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Come on, Google....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Come on, Google....

Seriously.

First it was the google toolbar crashing my chit at work..... then that annoying and completely useless google sidebar that takes up half the page.....now it's loud-azz pacman noises that like to stay on like a skipping CD no matter what page you're on?

Are you serious?

Get it together, google.

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind the changing google logos or an option for the pointless sidebar.... but don't push it.
You're a great search engine, but you're pizzing me off.

Is it time to try something different?

/rant.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with any other those things. I use Mozilla Firefox with the Add-Block Plus add-on. Maybe that's why.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 PM

hahahaha I love it

Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator - Retired

I'm not familiar with any other those things. I use Mozilla Firefox with the Add-Block Plus add-on. Maybe that's why.
Nope, I use ff, too.

Somebody here knows what I'm talking about.

The toolbar issue involved me running around the office uninstalling it on everyone's comp because it made IE take about 10mins to load a page. (yeah, they use IE. I don't, but it still shouldn't happen)

Then I went to search something at home, and I get this sidebar thing....
I think it's called the "everything" sidebar? Regardless, I hate it.

Then this stupid pacman crap.
I never really liked pacman anyway. Pong was a better game and it was a ball and 2 paddles.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never load toolbars in any of my browsers. A lot of them pull data from the net when IE starts up. I go to customer's houses and have to sit through 10+ minutes for IE to load their 5+ toolbars. And if 1 crashes, IE crashes.

Then they look at me and tell me my internet is slow

Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator - Retired

I never load toolbars in any of my browsers.
Nor do I. I hate the things.

Peeps at work do, though, apparently. (and I had it on my work IE, too, so I'm not sure what that was about)

But the "everything" sidebar thing doesn't need loaded. It's just part of my google. While seaching, it takes up the left 1/3 of the screen. Does anyone else have it? It has "everything", "videos", "images", more..... blah blah frickin' blah.

Oh, and the pacman noises are still going on as I type this. They are stuck on. Sounds like a siren going off. I have everything muted to shut it up.
UPDATE EDIT: Downloading the latest coolpreviews should solve the sound bug.
Other page preview add-ons, etc. will cause the same glitch.
I still hate the noises on the google homepage, though.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 05-21-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Administrator - Retired

So while I'm here.... does anyone know how to get rid of this crap on the left of my google searches?

Name:  cbrforum-GoogleSearch_1274486231-2.png
Views: 15
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM

im making pacman sounds: nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom =P

ok sorry trout I will try to help. When you installed your browser program you might have installed the toolbar and other extra features that come with the browser. Usually they give you check boxes to mark what you want and unmark stuff you do not want. So try uninstalling the browser and reinstalling with a "custom" install instead of recommended.

If you did this and still have this problem with baggage programs, go to your settings/preferences (settings in the browser;usually top right or top left of the browser window)and try to change from there.

If that doesn't work you can also find browser related programs and functions listed under the control panel->add or remove programs list. Uninstall from there.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

im making pacman sounds: nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom =P
LOL...
Great, now I'm gonna have to go watch the nom nom video again.

On the "everything" sidebar thingy..... it's part of igoogle. If I'm out, no problem.

Here is a response from google:

Thanks for your note. In order to continually make the search experience better for our users, Google is always tweaking different aspects of Web Search. It is likely that what you see is an experiment we're running. Below is a link to an Official Google Blog about why we have experiments. I take it you don't like the new features you see and we really appreciate your feedback.
If you go to the blog, it's a bunch of stupid nonsense that doesn't tell you how to get rid of the dam thing. (if there even is a way)
It's been on there for weeks now.

Also, I custom install almost everything. I usually know what I want. (usually)

And on the pacman thing... at least that's resolved now. Just a glitch between google and a FF add-on (coolpreviews).
(Some other add-ons supposedly set it off, too.)

It doesn't change the fact that google's home page still blasts pacman sounds at me, though. I'll never forgive them for that.

I appreciate your help, tho, man.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 PM

I hate to say it dylan but I was just playing pac man and I just turned my sound off probably not the solution you were looking for

Quick Reply: Come on, Google....