Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

College books

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: College books

ORIGINAL: marc0011

I did some data recovery for a P.H.D. candidate and she would order "deck copies" for me so my books were free . This little transaction saved me an A$$ load of cash!! But I completely agree with the cost of books for class and how quickly they become obsolete. The publisher will charge $200+ for a book and then publish a "new" edition by changing a couple words in the ENTIRE book.
What are "deck copies"

Ranger, are you kidding me? Financial aid is wonderful. Your hard earned tax money? If you're truly lower class like me, then you'll receive your tax refund. Calm down. Financial aid helps students.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 AM

True about a new edition being printed that has very few changes... So use this to your advantage!!! If you know that their are only a few changes (your teacher will usually know), then search online for the old edition. You can buy it for a fraction of the price.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

True about a new edition being printed that has very few changes... So use this to your advantage!!! If you know that their are only a few changes (your teacher will usually know), then search online for the old edition. You can buy it for a fraction of the price.
My experience is they change a lot of the problems/questions/exercises at the end of the chapter...some teachers have worked with me while others, in larger classes haven't been much help. Just depends sometimes I guess.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM

use allbookstores.com to search for the cheapest books. It's a text book search engine type site... but you have to know the ISBN number.

It usually takes me to half.com or a1books.com and I buy from them. I then sell the book on ebay when the class is over and it usually about a $50 difference... and you can always buy downloads of texts now if you use a laptop in class, this seems to be a more and more popular method at Uconn the past few semesters.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BAGD RANGER

well i speak because im personally lower to middle class and not rich by any means and this website has nothing to do with grammar or spelling either way i get my point across - i see so many people that work the system to get financial aid to pay for scholl and they are given my hard earned tax money to pay tuition and end up using it on BS that is nowhere school related -
im venting and not poiting this at anyone person ......
I don*t believe the financial aid system is BS because without it, there would be SO many more people who would otherwise be unable to raise the funds for higher education. I just finished my bachelors degree with a combination of grants, scholarships, and financial aid and without the financial aid, I would still be sitting in a call center (T-Mobile Cust Care) hating life. The money given to me went to many things such as rent, books, food, transportation, and tuition. Even though these items are not for school, they contributed to my education by providing housing, getting to and from school, and just plain ol eating. Yes there are funds handed out to students to use at their own discretion. But if they go and blow the money irresponsibly, then they are SOL because they have exhausted their financial aid for that semester/term.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Aweasel

ebay and amazon...
Same here

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM

I don*t believe the financial aid system is BS because without it, there would be SO many more people who would otherwise be unable to raise the funds for higher education. I just finished my bachelors degree with a combination of grants, scholarships, and financial aid and without the financial aid, I would still be sitting in a call center (T-Mobile Cust Care) hating life. The money given to me went to many things such as rent, books, food, transportation, and tuition. Even though these items are not for school, they contributed to my education by providing housing, getting to and from school, and just plain ol eating. Yes there are funds handed out to students to use at their own discretion. But if they go and blow the money irresponsibly, then they are SOL because they have exhausted their financial aid for that semester/term.
well said boss. thats exaclty how i spend that xtra cash; i buy food, gas, books, anything i need basically. the money isnt just blown away.

and to BAGDRANGER, stop being so butthurt and gtfo with that hate son.